• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

shotgun mic for a beginner

I'm very new to filmmaking and I am still rounding up gear. I'm looking for a decent, fairly inexpensive shotgun microphone. I would prefer to keep the cost as close to $100 as possible, but if you have a great deal for a little more, don't hesitate to run it by me.

I have the Rode NTG-3 and it seems to work great so far. It cost $800 but I think it's worth saving up for, if you can. Cause you can use it in the long run for better quality on bigger projects.

I have the Rode NTG-3 and it seems to work great so far. It cost $800 but I think it's worth saving up for, if you can. Cause you can use it in the long run for better quality on bigger projects.

He asked for something around $100, not 8 times his budget.

I suggest looking into the Rode Videomic, which is around $150 and the Videomic Pro, which is about $230.

thanks for the tips, but yeah 800 is pretty far beyond my budget at this time. I don't make a lot and I am still piecing together my light kit at the moment as well. On top of that, I am in a wheelchair and have had to invest some money into a camera mounting rig to attach to my chair. I have been debating on picking up the Rode Videomic. Just wanted to see if anyone was by chance getting rid of something decent in my range. Thanks to the both of you though, i appreciate any advice. I'm just a broke beginner, scraping together what i can to have a little fun with film.

I run with this mic... love it! It needs phantom power (48v) though... but it's a really strong mic for the budget audio filmmaker.

Back