• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The importance of sound effects

I'm not normally one for posting videos, but I saw this and thought it was worth sharing as a really good demonstration of how important post-production sound is to film.

http://digg.com/video/everest-clip-no-sound-funny?ncid=newsltushpmg00000003

I don't know the background, but this clip from 'Everest' seems to have been released with only the dialogue mix stem provided. So no music, no atmos, no Foley, no spot effects.

It's striking how the lack of sound effects immediately sucks much of the drama and credibility out of the scene.

Apart from the obvious 'set-piece' stuff (howling wind, tumbling snowfall, creaking ladder etc) it's worth noting how detached and unconvincing the dialogue sounds without any associated clothing movement, footsteps and the like, which would generally be added by a Foley artist. It almost makes it feel like the acting performances themselves are weaker than they really are.

I haven't seen Everest yet, but I don't think you need to know the film to appreciate just how much is missing from this scene!

(On a side note, my money's on this whole scene being ADR...)

I am really happy that i not decided to be an foley artist. I've watched some videos about ther job on YT, and this is defintly art!

If just one little detail is missing in a scene, it can twist everything into another direktion. Also using wrong sounds or objects to record them.

I'm glad that i am just a musician :D

Here's another good example of how different a film is if you remove some important (yet often taken for granted) elements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-GZJhfBmI

Last edited:
... I saw this and thought it was worth sharing as a really good demonstration of how important post-production sound is to film.

Well, DUH!

Should have added a little blowing wind.

You can't make that sort of decision based upon a short clip. It depends upon the context of the scene, story/plot and the film as a whole. And, of course, the desires of the director.

Besides, the film is LOADED with wind sounds; you need a break once in a while. You also need to consider the psychoacoustic aspects; constant sounds are "edited" out of our consciousness so we can focus upon other sounds which are more important - just as a good sound designer/supervising sound editor/rerecording mixer does.

Well, DUH!

You can't make that sort of decision based upon a short clip. It depends upon the context of the scene, story/plot and the film as a whole. And, of course, the desires of the director.

Besides, the film is LOADED with wind sounds; you need a break once in a while. You also need to consider the psychoacoustic aspects; constant sounds are "edited" out of our consciousness so we can focus upon other sounds which are more important - just as a good sound designer/supervising sound editor/rerecording mixer does.

You're more qualified than I, but I still don't like it without background sounds.

Alcove, surprised you'd say 'well duh'. I know you know as well as anyone around here how often post sound is ignored, neglected, taken for granted, deprioritised to the point where it's only being thought about after the budget's run out etc etc.

I agree it should be a case of 'well duh' but it's too often not in reality...

Well, DUH!

That's an excellent point, and one that I think many people would miss....specially inexperienced people who are trying to make a film and do their own audio along with everything else!

It almost makes it feel like the acting performances themselves are weaker than they really are. ... (On a side note, my money's on this whole scene being ADR...)

It would be a safe bet that the whole scene is ADR and therefore, that the acting performances were actually "weaker than they really are". ADR almost always weakens the performance.

It's striking how the lack of sound effects immediately sucks much of the drama and credibility out of the scene.

"Striking" perhaps to non-filmmaking members of the public but it shouldn't be striking to anyone who has ever actually directed, produced, edited, (etc.) a film.

I agree it should be a case of 'well duh' but it's too often not in reality...

It's certainly not the reality for professional directors, producers or those few talented amateurs who have a realistic shot at breaking into the industry. Most, maybe the vast majority, of those who call themselves amateur filmmakers are not (IMHO) really amateur filmmakers, they are actually hobbyist filmmakers. While neither hobbyist nor amateur filmmakers make a living from making films and are therefore both technically amateurs, in my personal view, the true amateur filmmaker is one who approaches filmmaking as do the professionals, just without the financial resources and without (yet) the financial returns. The hobbyist on the other hand approaches filmmaking differently, according to their interests, those areas of filmmaking which they personally enjoy the most.

The difficulty for the hobbyist is becoming trapped in a vicious circle of essentially producing "nothing" films. Due to very restricted resources they are limited to mainly (or entirely) drama based films and in addition, neglect/de-prioritize sound design which, as you say, "sucks most of the drama and credibility out of the scene/s". It's a simple equation; drama film minus drama/credibility = zero, a "nothing" film. While many festivals will screen "nothing" (or "very little") films, commercial distributors are not at all interested in them because extremely few members of the public will pay to watch them. Not a problem for the true hobbyist but true hobbyists seem to be few and far between, most want to be something more than a hobbyist. To move beyond hobbyist means having to actually get up and move! Buying a better camera, getting more resources/budget or even writing/procuring a better script is not getting up and moving, they're just potential ways of becoming a better hobbyist!

If, for example, in addition to directing, scriptwriting is one of the hobbyist's areas of interest then again, it's a simple equation; a half decent script with 70% of the drama/credibility sucked out of it is the same as a script which is only 30% as decent but hasn't had the drama/credibility sucked out of it, which is also the same as a script which is only 20% as decent but has had 10% extra drama/credibility added to it. To make a half decent film (and compensate for 70% of the drama being sucked out of it), the hobbyist would have to write a script which is 170% better than half decent, and such great scripts are extreme rarities! Of course, we can exchange the scriptwriting example with any of the other film crafts hobbyists tend to be most attracted to. Rather than attempting the near impossible, a far more achievable route is to work with the equation rather than trying to fight against it. IE. Reallocating time, effort, study and resources to those filmmaking areas (which significantly impact drama/credibility) which are not the hobbyist's primary area/s of interest. For example, putting in the effort to write a 70% decent script and allocating far more to only sucking out 20% of the drama results in a 20% better film overall than the other examples. Pretty much by definition, this is moving beyond being a hobbyist, IE. Changing focus to the needs of the film rather than focusing on the needs of the filmmaker.

The truth is, much of our (the sound peeps) contribution here, is selling the importance of sound/sound design rather than discussing how best to employ it, most of the rest of the time we're either advising on the cheapest sound equipment possible or trying to come up with suggestions on how to escape from inescapable holes which filmmakers have dug for themselves. Much of our "selling" efforts appear wasted because most are simply not interested in making decent films, they're only really interested in fulfilling their hobby and dreaming/hoping of landing the effectively fictional role of "professional hobbyist filmmaker". [/rant over] :)

G

About sound effects...

//=========================================

Hi Folks,

we have just started our one and only sale of the year: Buy 2 SFX libraries, get one for free.
Time to fill up the empty shelves in your studio with some heavily discounted high-quality Boom Library sound effects.

It's that simple:
• Visit our store on www.boomlibrary.com
• Dig through our extensive SFX catalog
• Put three or more SFX products in your shopping cart
• At checkout, enter the discount code 3FOR2
• The product with the lowest price will be FREE
If you choose 6 items, the two with the lowest price are free
If you choose 9 items, the three with the lowest price are free
...and so on...you know the math ;)

Happy shopping and enjoy the sounds. Thanks for your time.
Boom Library

BOOM_3FOR2_2015.jpg

//=========================================

Back