What equipment should i use for Reality Show?

Hello,
I am creating a reality show that I would potentially like to get picked up by a television network, and I could use your advice on what type of equipment i should use during filming.

The show will have about 7 people in one house, and I want to use very good quality cameras that could look similar to the quality of cameras they use for actual television shows.

I DO NOT want to use a DSLR, and I would need a camera that will record as long as there is enough storage. If you can recommend some cameras along with what type of lenses you think would work well, that would be great. If the camera has a fixed lens, that's fine also.

I would need to be able to record for a long period of time throughout the day (i would say about 12-15 hours), and then be able to switch batteries at night if possible, or if there is any way around that.
For lav mics, I would need about 7 of them and if there is any possibility to have the audio from all mics to transfer to one mixer, that would be great. I'm not to great when it comes to audio, so I could really use some help in this area.

I currently have the DJI Phantom 4 and will most likely be using it for aerial & b-roll footage. If there's anything else that you all think would be necessary for this type of show, I would really appreciate your input.
Thank you all!

Last edited:
Well, i really wanted to rent and not spend so much money on buying the cameras. I forgot to mention that I would most likely need about 4 of the same camera.

I was looking at borrowlenses.com because their cameras range from $200-500 per week per camera.

I'm thinking of filming for 2 weeks, and spending about $200-300/week per camera for rental.

Hope this helps!

I don't have any expert advice to give; equipment is not what I'm good at. But for what it's worth, I recently saw The Real World filming near downtown Seattle, and they had nothing but a camera operator with a shoulder-mounted video camera, a boom operator, and a producer.

Oh wow, really? That's awesome. I've been watching it because I love The Real World, and i'm assuming they just had one camera man go with whoever they were with, because i know they have lie 7 camera men.

I'm an audio guy; I don't know an F-stop from a bus stop, so I can't help you with cameras and glass.

You don't get any re-takes or "fix it in post" (ADR) with the sound when doing documentaries, so production sound is the one place where you don't want to take any chances. Your best bet is to retain a PSM/Boom-Op; they know audio inside-out (which relieves you of a major head-ache) and s/he probably already has most of the gear required. You can start here:

https://www.productionhub.com/directory/profiles/sound-mixers-recordists/us/virginia

I'm an audio guy; I don't know an F-stop from a bus stop, so I can't help you with cameras and glass.

You don't get any re-takes or "fix it in post" (ADR) with the sound when doing documentaries, so production sound is the one place where you don't want to take any chances. Your best bet is to retain a PSM/Boom-Op; they know audio inside-out (which relieves you of a major head-ache) and s/he probably already has most of the gear required. You can start here:

https://www.productionhub.com/directory/profiles/sound-mixers-recordists/us/virginia

you're correct! Thank you so much for linking the people in virginia for me! you're the bomb.com!

I don't know what is the standard in your country and it depends on so many factors that what type the contents is, but you can rent couples of panasonic AW-UE70 remote cameras all over the house and then you can have like 3x XDCAMS like PXW-Z450 those are good run and gun camera's for all around situations. Then you need wireless mics like they told before there and have some extra ones, so you have extra pare if some thing happens or there comes some new guest to the house. If you have extra cash rent wireless video equipments and monitors that director and sound guy can see what is happening so it is more easy to follow the sound and the director can be in different room with screen writer or secretary to plan things.

Well, i really wanted to rent and not spend so much money on buying the cameras.
Excellent decision.

I am a camera operator on a lot of reality shows. My advice is to
contact the rental house and sit with the camera tech. Tell them
you needs and your price range and let them suggest the proper
cameras.

You will not be recording to the on camera media so you do not
need a camera able to record for a long period of time throughout
the day. The AW-UE70 is a possible solution and used on shows like
"Big Brother" and "The Real World". If you don't need PTZ capabilities
you could go with several camcorders like the Canon HF-G40. I was
on a show recently where we used 30 JVC GY-HM170UA cameras
doing live 4k output to hard drives.

'rik and I are basically giving the same advice - get a pro to handle the "tech" side. They will have all of the contacts that you need with regards to gear - which gets you the right equipment, which they will know quite well, and probably at a better price; you'll also find them to be invaluable creative partners.

As the rest of IndieTalk knows, I started out as a working musician. I'll never forget the first time I played with people who really challenged my abilities; you know, I was pretty damned good, but Holy Crap! these guys could f-ing play! And the first time I played a major venue; pricey, high tech sound on stage as well as out front, union stage crew, working with a stage manager, etc. Your experience as a hard-working-up-and-coming professional is enhanced as well as your creativity, and you learn A LOT. To top it all of, you put out a better product.

Trust me, there's nothing like working with a bunch of professionals, no matter what your field.

Thanks so much guys for all the input and help!

What do you guys think about these cameras? If you think any of them are good, let me know which one would be best! This is the website that I am looking to possibly rent cameras from.

https://www.borrowlenses.com/produc...h-Four-Thirds-Sensor-and-Integrated-Zoom-Lens

https://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Sony-PXWX70-4K-Ready-XDCAM-Camcorder

https://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Sony-FDRAX1-Digital-4K-Video-Camera

https://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Sony_Z7U_Camcorder

Is there any possibility of getting a battery external battery extender or something similar to make the batteries last longer so i dont have to stop filming throughout the day to change batteries?
I am unaware of any battery extenders. I know with the JVC I mentioned
we used an AC adapter so we could use Edison power. Maybe there are
AC adapters for those cameras.

Back