Blackmagic Video Assist 4K vs. SmallHD 702

Did anyone have the chance to compare the two models especially considering their use as a Focus Puller monitor? How sharp are they, how is the peaking? How usable are they on set? Unfortunately I never had the chance to test the Video Assist myself. The option to record directly on the monitor for later reference or to check the focus afterwards is a big plus but most important for me is the ability to pull focus on it.

Many will disagree I'm sure, but IMO the Blackmagic Video Assist is sub-par as an on-board monitor.

It's a good cheap option for a record but I certainly wouldn't trust it for colour accuracy or much other than framing.

SmallHD have come a long way in their colour accuracy, and (again IMO) have always been one of the best for Focus and Focus Assist.

At the moment, my Shogun Flame is the best of both worlds - decent colour accuracy, not too bad focus assist and good recording options, though it's not without is quirks either and certainly not as refined as smallHD

Thanks for the insight! I did actually also consider the Ninja Flame especially considering the currently low price and all the extra equipment that's already included. However having worked with it for two weeks I've come to the conclusion that the picture quality especially with peaking on is just not good enough. Also the weight is something that I don't want to literally put on the shoulders of my camera operator. I also had the impression that the menu options are was too limited to work professionally on set with it when it's not just a recorder.

Edit: Oh and thanks mlesemann ;)

Last edited:
Back