German Voice Over

This might be a long shot, but does anyone natively speak German that would say a couple of lines for free? Or at least sound native to Americans?

If not, does anyone recommend where I could find a German actor with a good mic? I've thought of fiverr, but they aren't really actors.

Don't know any Germans IRL.
There are a few on the forum.

What are the lines? (You can send a PM)
My German isn't really good, but most Americans can't tell the difference between German and Dutch anyway ;)

The concept is learning a foreign language through a sort of chat-bot. I will be speaking "learning" German from the bot who is helping me understand the language. Because of this, I don't think I can get away with mixing Dutch and German.

I'm sure your "not good" German is better than most American's "good" English :lol:. I should be finishing up the lines tomorrow if you are willing to take a look.

I'll give it a shot, if you like. I'm not German, but I can find it on a map.

Ha, brilliant! Sarcasm is hard to tell online sometimes...do you speak German?

Walter, sorry I totally misunderstood. In that case, I agree. I don't think most Americans will be able to tell the difference.I didn't have time to write the lines today so I'll post them tomorrow.

It's been a long time since I've had to use my high-school German skills, but you are looking for a v/o artist; that's what I do.

Walter's German will be legit, though. He could probably correct any nuanced German grammar/translation issues better than I could, too.

There are two lines. "Ja, spreche ich viele Sprachen." and "Ich habe ein Bauernhof neben Windhelm. Was willst du wissen?"

I'm actually not sure if should be ich spreche or spreche ich because of ja. Or which one sounds more natural. In any case, I would greatly appreciate if either of you could do these lines!

There are two lines. "Ja, spreche ich viele Sprachen." and "Ich habe ein Bauernhof neben Windhelm. Was willst du wissen?"

I'm actually not sure if should be ich spreche or spreche ich because of ja. Or which one sounds more natural. In any case, I would greatly appreciate if either of you could do these lines!

I don't think "ja" changes word order. Also, I've always been told that the verb to use with knowledge of languages is "kann" rather than "spreche" ("Ich kann Deutsch, aber kannst du Englisch?" etc). I remember it because it's so counter-intuitive to my inner translator!

I might be wrong, however. There is at least one poster from Germany on IT, I seem to recall.

Interesting. If that's true, I wonder if it still applies to a general sense of many languages e.g. "Ich kann viele Sprachen sprechen" vs "Ich kann Deutsch sprechen". I've also seen mehrere used in place of viele.

But at what point are we splitting hairs versus using grammatically correct German? This is why languages are so difficult!

Well, ultimately what you need is the appropriate register of Gerrnan for the character who will be speaking it. A German grammar teacher will speak differently to a rustic Bavarian farmer. German also has frequent language reforms, so the era will be relevant too.

By the way, in your examples, they would be:
Ich kann viele Sprachen.
Ich kann Deutsch.

(i.e. the way I was taught, using kann removes the need for "sprechen" - suggesting mastery of a language rather than just being able to speak it, I guess). Doing a quick Google though, it seems that may have changed. Best to ask a German teacher of some description!

maz remembering me perhaps. But I'm a fake German - politically pursued and located abroad. I'd use these:

"Ja, ich spreche mehrere Sprachen." and "Ich habe ein Bauernhof neben Windhelm. Was willst du wissen?"

VIELE ist auch correct. VIELE means more like MANY and when you use MEHRERE it's like using the word MORE - which to me sounds more German.

Ja, spreche ich viele Sprachen? Correct as a question.
Ich kann Sprachen. Also correct - a bit more like saying "I know languages".

VIELE ist auch correct. VIELE means more like MANY and when you use MEHRERE it's like using the word MORE - which to me sounds more German.

I often do not know when to correctly use viele or mehrere. I am trying to say "Yes, I speak many languages." I chose viele because I want to say many. If mehrere sounds more German, then that's what I'm going for.

Warum hast du selbst ein "falsch Deutscher" gesagt?

Fake, because I am not to be mistaken for a real German in discussions like this. I use four languages every day and German is my fourth strongest, so... it all is a bit fuzzy.

Warum hast du "falscher Deutscher" gesagt?
Warum hast du selbst gesagt, dass du ein falscher Deutscher bist?

Finnish is quite a departure from the others on that list! I tried learning it once, but stepping outside of the familiar Indo-European bubble was too taxing at the time.

Impressive - to even have so much energy that you come up with the idea to go there. Fascinatingly practical language, as it completely makes sense. You never need it, of course, as they all know English over there.

Back