Here i go ...

I am planning a 5min film, plan to shoot on video, the sony F35 is what i am hoping for, the shoot will probably be about a wekk or so, the question is what sort of budget should i be looking at and what is the best way of secruing funding for such a film where there will be very little [none] monetary return, i plan to do the festival circut and perhaps try and get onto a TV station.

would there be any advatage trying to get a name to act in it to help secure funding?

sorry for the very open question

Regards

Rob

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't try to get any kind of name unless you know them personally and they'll work for nothing. It just sounds like it would be a bigger hassle then it is worth. Maybe if you were doing a 20 or 30 minute short then maybe I could see it but even then it may be more trouble then it is worth.

As far as the budget is concern, I would hammer out all the pre-production end of things first. Get all your details down and see what kind of favors you can get out of the people that you know. Then take a look and see what kind of budget you are going to need, if any. I have a couple shorts under my belt now and I haven't spent over $100 for either. Mostly food and things. See if you can squeeze your shooting days down to 2 or 3 days. That would help significantly.

Seeing as though it is only a 5 minute film, I would be surprised if you were able to secure any funding, for the reasons you already stated. Does that mean you shouldn't try? Not necessarily. But I wouldn't get your hopes up either. Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

Welcome to indietalk, Rob!

Budget:
No way to know what sort of budget you should be looking at
without reading the script. 5 minute shorts have been made
for £50 and for £50,000. You will need to do a complete break
down.

Funding:
Since in this case you are asking people to invest because they
believe in you and want to help - not for financial return - you
have to make this very personal. Don’t make promises about getting
into festivals - though do you research and tell them about the
festivals you plan to enter and how much that’s going to cost.
However, plan a showing of the final movie in a public place so
everyone can see it.

Do you research on what TV stations show short films and
include that info in you "business plan". In this case you are selling
yourself as as an up and coming, dedicated movie maker.

Attaching a name:
If you can, it will help. Do your research. Find out how many "names"
attach themselves to five minute shorts and then find out how many
of those actors attached themselves to a project in which they didn't
know the director personally.

Since you will be using this actor to get financing, they become
primary partners in the production. Without them, you can't get
the money. So you aren't actually making an offer, you are asking
for their help. You will use their name to get financing.

You have to remember, any actor worth having attached to your
script is already getting a stack of scripts from producers and
studios. So what sets your project above all the rest? They will
ask - so you should be ready with an answer. Think about how
doing this movie will help them, not you.

If it's your first, and its a short - don't look for money, just get it done. I can guarantee you right now that its not going to turn out the way you want it to - mainly because you don't know what you're doing - no offence intended; you physically don't have the experience to pull out of the production what you want to - buttttt, do something - it takes stepping stones to get where you want to be. Even then, very few artists are ever happy with their work.

Short films never make money. Just walk into any video rental store (what's left of them) and see if you can find any short films. So whatever amount of money you spend just understand that you will never recoup it.

I'd like to chime in and disagree. Saying short films NEVER make money is a pretty bold statement. If you know marketing and business and advertising then yes, short films WILL make money. It has nothing to do with getting your video released in a rental store.

Back