• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Doing post on linux

Hi everyone! I'm still new here, but:

I'm a linux user looking for some filmmaking tools.
I really would prefer to avoid putting windows on my box, and I'm cheap so I can't afford software like premiere.

What I've found so far:
Lightworks (The free version lacks some key features, but the pro version is comparatively cheap)
Davinci Resolve (I was surprised that this has linux support!)
Audacity (audio program, free)

Has anyone else found good software for their linux box? I would love to know.

As far as I'm aware the linux version of Resolve is only available with their $30k panel. But I've not tried it on linux.. I do have a dongle that's good for windows and mac for sure.

Lets see... off the top of my head Freebies and cheapies:
Ardour is lightyears better than Audacity. It's open source, with suggested donation amounts (which are VERY low).
Synfig Studio is a pretty robust animation package
Cinelerra for editing.
Blender for 3D modelling/rendering also does compositing, camera matchmoving, etc..
Jahshaka is kind of after effects-ish
CinePaint is a 'Deep Painting' photo retouching tool

Then as for "pro" stuff, there's a linux version of massive, also Nuke immediately come to mind. Resolve would really be in this category too.

As far as I'm aware the linux version of Resolve is only available with their $30k panel. But I've not tried it on linux.. I do have a dongle that's good for windows and mac for sure.

Lets see... off the top of my head Freebies and cheapies:
Ardour is lightyears better than Audacity. It's open source, with suggested donation amounts (which are VERY low).
Synfig Studio is a pretty robust animation package
Cinelerra for editing.
Blender for 3D modelling/rendering also does compositing, camera matchmoving, etc..
Jahshaka is kind of after effects-ish
CinePaint is a 'Deep Painting' photo retouching tool

Then as for "pro" stuff, there's a linux version of massive, also Nuke immediately come to mind. Resolve would really be in this category too.

Ardour is something I need to check out!
I did download blender once a long time ago. There's quite a learning curve, but it might be time for me to give it a shot.
Jahshaka looks interesting.

Thanks for the list!

Back