The Disaster Artist

Going to see it tonight!
If you haven't seen The Room, you MUST see it before the Disaster Artist.

The Room is a 6 million dollar movie written, produced, directed and starring Tommy Wiseau. He produced it with the intention of making a profound drama that would knock you out of your socks. Instead, the film, which was shot on 35mm film and HD video at the same time, became known as the worse film ever made... Now it enjoys life as a cult favorite dark comedy.

Watching the Room leaves you feeling like you've got brain damage. It make no sense but seems to be going somewhere (which is isn't). You'll start looking at the people around you wondering if someone put drugs in your soft drink or sprinkled some crack on your popcorn.

The Disaster Artist is a book that tells the tale of making the Room from the co-star Greg Sestaro's point of view. Sestaro met Tommy at an acting class. They became some sort of friends and the bizarre relationship grew from that. It finally culminated into the making of The Room. I have to say, this book is by far the funnies book I have ever read. I was laughing out loud as I turned through the pages..

Now, the book has been made into a movie. I don't know if they can do justice to Tommy Wiseau or the saga of making the room but I'll find out.

As film makers. You need to see The Room and you need to read The Disaster Artist. As for the movie The Disaster Artist; we'll see...

Last edited:
Looks really great.

Right now my favorite "film about making a film" is Living in Oblivion.
Itll be hard to top but maybe the disaster artist has what it takes, I've heard it's been receiving very hi marks

I got premiere tickets to it and loved it

only thing that bugged me was they put so much effort into making the actors look close to the original except 'Lisa' who looked nothing like the original girl in my opinion but I think it tells the story well and it even made me feel a bit sorry for Wiseau lol

It's good overall, you're just interested by who this strange guy is & what he's doing. The last third's pretty good. I liked the brief insight into his past near the start. I wish we learned more about him, even if they just invented something to make it more emotionally satisfying. Its nominations from different organizations are deserved, although it feels like maybe there's not much good competition out there. But it's good that a small film like this has made a good profit & is getting recognition.

Velusion,
Did the end of the screening in the film happen the same way as in the book? It's a bit tough to believe.

he is very protective of his past and thats why its not included... I dont see how giving him a false background and changing it from a true story people are invested in from a cult fan perspective to something fake and partially made up would help anything

The book does talk about Tommy's past - although it's told to us as a "he told me a story about someone" and not specifically him. From what I remember, he is from Poland and migrated to Paris when he was a teen.

-Thanks directorik.
-Interesting, micster. I guess I was thinking of something like what he revealed near the start, something that would make me feel more sympathy for him.

You're right, BBfilms. I was just thinking as a non-cult fan. And the filmmakers would probably like to expand the audience beyond the people who've seen The Room. In Ed Wood, we get to know more about Ed & Bela, & there's more at stake there. I liked that more than this, even without seeing Ed Wood's films. But I guess that movie benefitted dramatically from real things like Bela's addiction & death.

Maybe Tommy & Greg wouldn't have approved of making up stuff, or maybe no one thought to bring it up. I just think dramatically it could've involved the audience more. Nothing big, just something subtle, a bit before the screening. Something that further developed what he said near the start.
Just a personal preference.

I loved "The Disaster Artist" (the film; haven't read the book). I've seen it three times now, and plan on going again. I respectfully disagree that one needs to have seen "The Room" in order to appreciate it, but that certainly probably helps.

As a big fan of The Room, I've been desperate to see this for a while now. Unfortunately, no theaters near me have been playing it. Just that stupid Star Wars crap

Just curious, for the people who've seen Ed Wood, how do you think it compares to this?

It's a very different movie. I don't think there is much to compare.
"Ed Wood" is about the man, this is about a friendship.

Thanks for replying. Yes the 2 films are pretty different. But I thought a big part of Ed Wood was the friendship between Ed & Bela. Which film got you more emotionally invested? And have you seen The Room before?

Thanks for replying. Yes the 2 films are pretty different. But I thought a big part of Ed Wood was the friendship between Ed & Bela. Which film got you more emotionally invested? And have you seen The Room before?

Good point. Maybe there is more to compare the two. Both are
about friendship and dedication and perseverance and making
a movie. One is more about a career, the other about the one
movie. I guess I'm not too good at drawing comparisons. I was
emotionally invested in both about the same.

Yes, I've seen "The Room" - twice. Once early on in its run and
then again with the director at the screening.

Back