Having A Postpoduction Advisor Working On Set

How many people here plan to have a postproduction advisor working on set with them when they shoot?:huh:

It is a good way to make sure you have all of the shots you need for post special effects to look their best. :)

I've never seen a specific person for that role...typically it's the DP, Director, or Editor that take care of post (at the indie level of course)...or if the 'post guy' isn't on set, they just get the footage when they get the footage.

A good Director knows how to 'shoot to edit', which greatly helps out the workflow later.

I’ve never used one. I’ve never really heard of a Post Production
advisor. To make sure I have all my shots I rely on the scripty
who keeps track of all coverage. That is the function of that
particular job.

The few times I have made a movie with post production efx I have
had the person doing the efx on set to make sure we shoot the
footage in a way to get the most out of the process.

The few times I have made a movie with post production efx I have
had the person doing the efx on set to make sure we shoot the
footage in a way to get the most out of the process.

We don't have this convenience. I wish we did. Can you give an example of advice that was given on an occasion?

I spent my early career in special efx - physical
efx like makeup and blowing stuff up. My visual
efx knowledge is limited. Especially today in the
digital world. That's why I have the person who
will doing any compositing on the set.

They will advise on lighting and camera placement
to better show off the post production work. Make
sure actors don't walk in specific areas of the frame,
exposure, that kind of thing. Quite frankly, I kind of
glaze over when that's going on because I don't really
understand it. I let them do their thing without much
interference from me.

A postproduction can be an editor, special effects supervisor, or special effects director. The editor must be experienced in post special effects. They supervise the shots for special effects scenes and work with the director, DP, light crew, and production designer if there is one.

I am considering using one and having two stunt coordinators for the next production. I need 2 stunt coordinators because one will work with the cyborgs for more of a wrestling style with power moves of strength. And the other for the humans and ETs with more of a graceful style of fighting, such as martial arts.

There will be way more special effects and some of the effects will be interesting to pull off with a dual layer of motion effects where cyborgs are running at super speed and a goddess races past them a godspeed, as one example.

Back