Festival recommendations from you

Last year was the first time I really tried putting a film into fests. And we got in 16 of them. So I thought it might be a good thread idea to speak about your positive personal fest experiences and which ones you'd recommend other filmmakers try and get into.

Miami Int'l Sci-Fi Film Fest - http://miscifi.com/
Last year was their first year and you really wouldn't know. I've been to other first year fests and often times they start very meager. MiSciFi did not feel like a first year fest at all. I had a lot of fun attending and am lucky to be going back again this year with a new film.

Love Your Shorts - http://www.loveyourshorts.com/
This is right in my backyard (Sanford, FL - outskirts of Orlando) and I've tried to get in for years. I finally made it last year and wow do they treat the filmmakers right. Free drinks (beer/wine, too) and snacks all day. Lots of opportunity to rub elbows with other filmmakers. They even had me speak on a panel. A very fun fest to hang out at.

The 48 Hour Film Project - http://48hourfilm.com/
I know there are other threads about it here, so you all know the concept. And what happens at your local level can be a hit or miss proposition. But it you win your city (like I did last year) and move on to the international Filmapalooza fest, it's tons of fun. Four days of short films and fun. Mark and Liz do it up right. Last year the event was in New Orleans the weekend after Mardi Gras. So I went early and had fun even before the festival. This year it's at Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood! Should make for a fun time again.

Florida Film Festival - http://www.floridafilmfestival.com/
Probably Florida's pre-eminent film festival. A week of activities, films, and parties. They, too, know how to treat the filmmaker right. I live in the same city and I only had a short film accepted, but even I was offered two free nights a local hotel, just like all the other filmmakers in attendance (I declined). They always have some Hollywood celebrities in attendance, as well.

I went to other good fests last year, as well, but I'll let others chime in. What fests do you recommend trying to get into based on your experiences?

I'd love to hear which festivals people like that exhibit web-series. There are a handful of 'web fests' but I was wondering whether anyone has any tips for festivals that also have a web-series (or transmedia) category?

I'm not sure if you have ever submitted to an online film festival or video contest. Some people have hesitations when it comes to online festivals but if you are looking for a way to showcase your films, especially ones that have already gone through the festival circuit, theaudienceawards.com is a great place to win some extra cash and views for your films. Its worth exploring a bit.

I checked out the site. Most of the contests are Internet voting. I hate those. Too great a chance for rigging.

Big weekend, my film playing in New Zealand (couldn't attend), the Orlando Film Festival, and the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival (in Florida, not Australia).

Your film played at Orlando Film Fest this past weekend? What was the name? I may have saw it XD

I was there to watch Dutch Book, but had a weekend pass so watched a good bit of things.

Didn't win anything, but then again, at Orlando for shorts, they only give out Best Short. No granularity (no actor, director, cinematography, anything).

However at Melbourne we were nominated for Best Action film and took home the Best Comedy award for a different film.

Just got home from the East Lansing Film Festival in Michigan. Great fest, run by great peeps. I always enjoy meeting other filmmakers at the panels and parties and they had plenty of both. Highly recommended, especially if you have a tie to Michigan. They seem to favor MI films.

Went to the brand new Green Bench Brewing Film Festival in St. Pete, FL over the weekend. Very cool concept! A local brewery that has lots of films on their lawn setup a whole festival. Talks in the brewery, screenings in the warehouse, an awards night, food truck, and lots of craft beer. Run by very cool, personable people. Highly recommended.

And back to the Tampa area for the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival over the weekend. A good second-year fest. They show in an actual theater and plan out parties every night. Nice awards ceremony on the final night. And their emails are hysterical. Very straightforward and honest.

Back