What do you think makes a good preview trailer?

I believe that one of the important first steps towards revealing your movie to the world is the trailer. But, some trailers really SUCK and some are awsome
What do you think makes a trailer good?

For no budgets and indies?

When people actually talk in the trailer. No talk? Pretty much know it's gonna be bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4blSrZvPhU

Hell I had never heard of Watchmen before, and after watching this, I got the comics, and became a huge Watchmen geek.
I don't know why it is such a great trailer, but it does reflect the epic feel for the movie, and the struggle between chaotic good and lawful good.

A very strong sound score and original sound track help too.

The sound design of the trailer is a good indication of the sound design of the production itsellf.

Also, a trailer with a rhythm and style is also a good indication that the production is properly edited. The costumes and sets are also a good indication along with the shots and lighting.

Do the trailer tell a story? If it does, the movie SHOULD have a story. But, that is not always true. A marketing company may have had the rtailer put together on its own to sell the movie.

I think a trailer that details the plot just enough to get the audience interested is the right thing to do. Also no talking isn't going to help you out. Trailers that show action and small key moments in the film seem to work well.

I believe that one of the important first steps towards revealing your movie to the world is the trailer. But, some trailers really SUCK and some are awsome
What do you think makes a trailer good?

The best capture the feel of the movie and convey the overall sense of the story without spoiling the plot. The trailer has to be true to movie it is previewing while still leaving the audience wanting more.

Most indie/micro budget trailers don't give you any sense of the story. They never ever make any sense.
I don't think the Watchmen trailer made much sense either and as I recall, it bombed at the BO. Cool images though.

A good structure breakdown for a trailer:

1.) Act One (from your script)
Introduce your main characters.

2.) Act Two (from your script)
show highlights of the conflict

3.) Remember to LEAVE OUT Act Three
Don't resolve the conflict in your trailer. Give potential viewers and fans a reason to watch your production. Just wet their appitite.

I think the music makes the trailer. I thought the Mi4 trailer was great. (Hopefully it was the better of the two harmonica linked above). I thought the soundtrack was pretty cool. I hate rap and I'm not an Eminem fan, but I thought the sound track fit it perfectly and it was just plain badass. Made me go see it haha.

Music helps. But, without structure the trailer is meaningless. A strong sound score can go a long way.

Since people here will want to makke a trailer for their indie productions. Remember, your cast, crew, characters, and story are unknown to the public. You need to introduce them.

Look up also spots for new TV series where a TV network is fact with a similar sinereo. They may use an actor in the cast as themselves to introduce the spot and ask viewers to tune in to see what the show is about. Then, they will show highlight scenes from the production to get viewers excited.

A weak sound score can kill both a trailer and the production itself. But, so can a lack of story and character structure.

The Underworld trailer is good because it introduces unknown characters and an unknown story. Solid production values, a tale of vampires and werewolves, and a good sound score helped to interest viewers to take a chance.

Back