Okay, I can't keep it in any longer.

So, Spielberg et. all have been shooting "Lincoln" in Richmond, over the last few months. They're very close to wrapping, if they haven't already. I work at a bar in Richmond's finest hotel, a five-star five-diamond hotel (which is extremely rare). Yes, I've had a good number of big-name actors at my bar, having drinks, grabbing a bite to eat, and I've enjoyed conversing with them.

It would be incredibly inappropriate for me to bum-rush them with the fact that I'm a small-time filmmaker, and/or try to exploit the fact that they are a captive audience at my bar, so I've only had the opportunity to discuss all of my stuff with only one of them, when it just naturally came up in conversation. So, that's not where this conversation is going. (Plus, it's worth mentioning that I'm strictly forbidden from even mentioning the fact that I recognize a celebrity, and people have actually been fired for this.)

Anyway, here's what I wanted to mention. One of the actors has been in our restaurant often enough that you could actually call him a regular. He's a seasoned actor, a name and face that people on here would definitely recognize, but I have to keep his anonymity. Besides, he's not who I want to talk about.

Spielberg is a hero of mine. He is, by far, the director I most look up to. I know I'm not alone there. As if there weren't enough reasons to admire the guy, this regular at our restaurant -- a guy who has been in MANY movies -- reports that Spielberg is the nicest director he's ever worked with. He says that Spielberg is incredibly patient, has a very pleasant demeanor, and is just a joy to work with.

Take note, aspiring-directors! I know I am. The greatest director of all time is a nice guy on the set! If it works for him...

:D

Those who say yes are rewarded with adventure and stories.

Those who say no are rewarded with security and safety.

Trust in the fact that there is no right or wrong, and in this industry only the people who open their mouths get fed.

Do it or you WILL regret it. Just don't get fired in the process.

Those who say yes are rewarded with adventure and stories.

Those who say no are rewarded with security and safety.

Trust in the fact that there is no right or wrong, and in this industry only the people who open their mouths get fed.

Do it or you WILL regret it. Just don't get fired in the process.

Heh. :)

I appreciate that, but if you'd been in my shoes, I feel confident that you'd know that bum-rushing any of these actors would've been WAY wrong.

The context you're not aware of is the fact that this job made my first feature a possibility, because I make enough that I could self-finance a small-time feature (and, I basically write my own schedule). And better yet, this job is putting the second feature on solid ground, because I have regular contact with a whole lot of people who have a lot of money. And some of them really like me! :D

I know how to prioritize. :)

Also, what would I say to them? The next feature is a Road Trip Movie, which means the cast is minimal, and the two leads have been cast (and I will not re-cast). Of what personal interest would any of these actors take in my movie, which they will not be cast in (unless they want a really-small, very-low-paying role)?

My bad, I thought you were in an actual mental dilemma as to what you should do. DIdn't realize it was just letting people know that you're around the production and actors.

Statement retracted.

All good. Actually, the only reason I posted was to re-iterate how awesome Spielberg is, and that my admiration for him has only grown, based on these first-hand reports, from people who have much experience. Cheers. :)

Awesome story! The only way it could be better is if Spielberg himself came in to share a beer with you!

I've met enough of my heroes to know that just because I like someone's work, doesn't mean I'd like them as a person. It is always reassuring though when you someone you respect as an artist, you can respect as a person too.

That's cool you stuck around Richmond and sounds like a great gig. Seems like there is some filmmaking going on there, even though you are seeing it from the sidelines. Maybe things will change in 2012?

Spielberg is a living legend. I'm guessing he wouldn't still be making movies for Hollywood if he was a total jerk to work with. Love to hear about the nice guys in the biz. :)

Plenty of jerks everywhere, and no shortage in this industry either.

I'm glad to hear that Steve (may I call him that?) is a nice guy. I'm not surprised to hear it.

Pesonally, my favourite director is, Akira Kurosawa, and he was notoriously known for flaring tempers, and yelling at those, who don't do there job the right way, so it's a bit different to that respect, although he was known to help smaller details of the film, like helping wash floors for an INT. scene in, Yojimbo.

Another favourite of mine is, Kubrick, who would push actors to their absolute limit, until the point they'd have over 50 takes of one shot, like, The Shining.

I'm not the biggest fan of Spielberg. I mean,I respect his talent, and loved, Saving Private Ryan, and, Munich, but he's not in my top five to be honest.

Spielberg is certainly a fantastic director, he's brought out some of the best films ever and he is a director most film makers should look up to. I know I do. Wish I could converse with a famous actor. :( haha!

That's awesome to hear. One of my goals is to become known as an awesome person to work with. I think that gets you a lot further in any business than almost any other quality, even tons of raw talent. When you're cool to work with, people will bend over backwards to make things work for you, and in a lot of cases they'll work for less pay/fewer perks if they know it'll be fun/relaxed and they aren't going to be screamed at. :)

That's amazing! If anything I'm most impressed by your restraint, I'd be mobbing anyone who came in the door and would probably be fired within a few days of the production arriving in town ;)

I think this does go to proving that personality is so important in a director. I recently attended a screening and press conference for the film 'Hugo' and sat in a small conference room looking up at my personal directing hero, Martin Scorsese. He was absolutely captivating and his love for film and filmmaking was so clear. You could tell he was as captivated now as he ever was by film and his actors agreed that this was a reason why he's such a great director. This is something you can definitely see in Spielberg as well and I think it just goes to show that deep down that's the main thing that makes these guys so great

Actors are probably approached all the time, they may find it refreshing to get to talk about film and filmmaking without feeling there's an agenda behind the conversation.

Thanks for sharing this story, Cracker Funk!

It's refreshing to hear that such a well-known director is reportedly a nice fella!

One of the directors I admire, in fact I like him better than Speilberg, is Michael Mann, who, allegedly is a complete dickhead to work with.

And don't even get me started on Bernie L.

Thanx 4 sharing. I have worked in the food & bar biz a while myself. It is standard MO in the service industry to treat the staff like shit. I have never seen such unprofessional people in my life yet that is the preferred management style in the "hospitality" business.

I have owned my own businesses before and Im the kind of boss / leader that always treats people w/ respect. One of my mentors back in the day taught me to always ask people to do things for you when in a leadership position. Better to be an authoritative respectful leader than authoritarian asshole.

I remember when u posted abt Lincoln filminng there a while ago and we were making jokes like, "Leave your script in their bedrooms" etc. lol.

He's an amazing director (but not in my top 5 either) and that's good to hear. Tx for sharing.

Back