We have a news - new version released today! KIT Scenarist 0.7.1 beta 1 is ready for use!
So, what's new!?
First, cards module was fully rewritten. Why do I decide to do that? because first was bad. I wanted to take other finished open source diagram editor, polish it and integrate it to Scenarist, but is was not very good... The editor itself contained a large number of errors, which were opened not at once, and, frankly, just do something great, super versatile failed. Well, we are not accustomed to give up - I thought, thought and decided that we should start with the bare minimum, gradually developing it. So I rewrote the editor of cards. Now it allows you to simply lay out the cards in sequence, grouping them into acts. When this functionality will work perfectly, I will expand it, of course, if it will be needed.
Secondly, the characters and locations have moved to the research module. Now they can do all the same as before plus we added the ability to add to each character any number of any research item by grouping them as needed. And with this release, the characters and locations can be reordered way you want, for example, that the main characters were the first, and you do not have to find them among the rest.
Well and thirdly a number of other, smaller improvements:
• added Ukrainian and German translations of the program;
• groups of scenes fully removed from the program. Now for the scenes grouping, you can only use the folders. Groups of scenes in the old projects will be converted to folders;
• changed the dialogue of adding new projects, and now when creating a new project, you can specify the file to be imported;
• in Mac OS X can now open multiple copies of the application, you needs to open the context menu icon in the Dock and choose "New Window" menu item;
• fixes bugs related to grouping/moving scenes and folders;
• fixed an issue with using the special characters in the title scenes;
• now the program will allow you to open projects from newer versions in the compatibility mode;
• fixed a problem with the infinite duplicating of the description of the first scene;
• as well as minor changes in user interface.
Well, as usual, in view of the fact that this is a beta, do not forget to save a copy of the working draft, in the event that it was possible to revert to a previous version.
So far, in the future plans to develop card to a good level. Make it so that they were easy to use. In a parallel development run mobile versions of software for Android and iOS.
P.P.S. And yet, we have to actively use GitHub for tracking tasks and errors detected, if you are want to look at our inner kitchen, you can do so here - https://github.com/dimkanovikov/KITScenarist/issues. Anyway, you can report errors directly there, and when the error is fixed, system will send notification to you!
I want to say thank you for fast feedback and error reports. I already prepared the next beta version. It adds functional for printing cards. You can print them into Index Cards or on other paper, just specify cards count per page.
And in the second beta we fixed all critical bugs which were found in the first beta:
• fixed problems with the research module (flickering, freezing, crashing by using the context menu, and when you update the project name);
• on the card now displayed scene number;
• finally fixed the problem with the duplicate description of the scene (that sometimes also resulted in a freeze of the program);
• refined dialog for creating/editing card;
• updated translation files;
• improved drawing cards and acts;
• fixes many problems with the cards (problems with drag and drop cards into the acts, the problem with the change its titles and descriptions);
• fixed a problem transferring the text from the synopsis to outline and further work on it;
• improved algorithms for text correction (smart quotes, DOuble CApitals and other).
And here is the next beta version KIT Scenarist 0.7.1 beta 3 is published!
It added another useful feature - group cards.
What do you need to do for this?
1. Add a new card to the act, which will group the other cards.
2. Call context menu of this card and select the item "Convert to folder"
3. Drag and drop your cards into the group.
And other bugs was fixed, namely:
• fixed a problem with re-editing the description of the scene in the cards;
• now the mindmaps scene will be exactly the size as you need for the scheme.
Perhaps this will be the last innovation in the current version. Next only to debug and polish the current functionality. But this does not mean that we'll stop development - no! I still have a lot of ideas on how we can improve the work with the cards, but see it in the following episode! Stay with us!
We released KIT Scenarist version 0.7.1 beta 4. It includes the ability to check and install application updates.
Also, we fixed a couple of shortcomings:
• improved algorithm for determining the scenes when importing *.docx-files;
• fixed a problem with the appearance of broken review comment when deleting text;
• we prepared rpm-packages for Linux.
In addition, today we are launching an open test of the cloud service. Anyone who previously registered in the cloud, you will need to change the password. For those who don't have an account, you can create a new one (it can be done directly in the program). Free access to work with the cloud will be open until May 1, 2017. On April 1, 2017, we will plan to transfer cloud service in production mode.
Read more about the cloud service:
• it allows you to store your projects in the cloud and access them directly from the program on all computers without work with any third-party service (in the future projects from the cloud can also be synced to and from the mobile version of the program);
• to projects in the cloud, you can connect the co-authors or editors, for this purposes we prepared two roles for partners: commentator and editor, with appropriate restrictions for editing text or without them;
• you can work with cloud projects both online and offline, all the changes you have made in the absence of the Internet will be synchronized when you reconnect to the Internet;
• in the cloud you have 2 GB of disk space to store own projects;
• when cloud service will work stable, access to it will operate on a subscription. Projects will be deleted from the cloud if you have not activated the subscription within 30 days from the date of its completion. During this time, (and indeed at any time), you can save a local copy of every project from the cloud.
And finally, an introductory video on how to work with the cloud service in the program:
Finally, I found some time and prepared next update for you. KIT Scenarist 0.7.1 beta 5 released!
In this update I fix some bugs related to cards module and made some other improvements:
• fixed bug with losing stamp in cards;
• new cards now added not after the last card, but after selected card, or in mouse double position;
• fixed bug with loading dictionaries spell check for Windows and Linux;
• card's titles now printed identically with cards on the screen;
• in research module, after adding a new item, an application will be focused on the added item.
So we are still a few steps closer to the release of the stable version. Once again I want to express my gratitude to all of you! Thank you for participating, friends!
I hasten to inform you that we found a mega bug! Because of it, the texts in the cloud collapsed, the cards on the blackboard disappeared, undo and redo were unworked ... But! With your help, we found problem and it has already been fixed!
To all who put the version of the program, starting from 0.7.0, I recommend installing the update for save the future of your work!
In addition, the sixth beta fixes the problem with the hang of exporting text in Windows.
We released the next beta version of the KIT Scenarist 0.7.1 beta 7.
In this update:
• fixed the problem with crash when closing;
• fixed the problem with deleting research documents;
• improved the mechanism for downloading spelling dictionaries;
• fixed the problem with the inability to select a file to export/import in Mac OS X;
• fixed the problem with closing the dialog for sending the error report in Windows;
• the interface is also slightly improved.
This is the latest beta in the current development branch of the project. I plan to allocate another week or two for testing and moving it into a stable status.
And afterward, I'll work hard on mobile applications! Have a nice weekend, guys!
Before talking about the update, I want to tell you about one change in the naming of the versions of the program. From today, versions of the programs will be divided into two categories:
1. Beta versions
Here everything is the same - they are the latest versions, in which there is a new functionality, but they can contain critical errors.
2. RC versions
This is a replacement for our "stable" versions. RC stands for the release candidate. I decided to do so because to call our versions "stable" is pretty naive. Yes, they fixed the most critical bugs, but still, they are far from stable, they have other, uncritical errors, and maybe even critical ones, which we simply could not find out yet. On the other hand, it also confuses the users themselves, "Well, how can a stable program work unstable, apparently the developer's hands have curves ...". And I really would like to believe that this is not so
So today we publish a non-stable version and the version of KIT Scenarist 0.7.1 rc 1. I hope no one confused.
Well, now let's get back to the update itself. It included the following improvements:
• the translation of the program into Portuguese has been added, and all other translations have been updated;
• fixed the problem with the disappearance of the text of the script when switching to full-screen mode;
• fixed a bug where the description of one character could be replaced by another's description;
• fixed a bug related to editing review comments;
• fixed the problem with freezing the interface when starting the program due to the dialogue with the message about the application update;
• slightly improved interface.
At the moment this is the most stable version, so if you still at 0.7.0, then I advise you to upgrade. To find out more about what went into the new version, you can follow these links:
And among other things, from today the cloud service move to battle mode. You can also work with cloud service, starting with version 0.7.1.
I express my deep gratitude to all participants of the closed and open testing of the cloud, to all participants of the beta testing of the new possibilities of the program itself, to all participants in discussions at forums, in social networks and personal correspondence. A low bow to you, friends! Thank you!
For a long time, we did not have news about of the rubric #filmedbyusersscreenplays, it's time to fill in the blanks. And the first in line is the Christmas work of Eugene Puzyrevsky, which is called "Mom is always near." If you have not seen on TV, or on the Internet - get ready, it will be sharp!
And besides the film itself, you can read the text of the script in the KIT format, or in PDF format.
P.S. And, of course, friends, if new films are shot according to your scripts - share! Send teasers, trailers, shorts and feature films. And, if possible, share scripts, maybe in time we will organize a whole library of scripts and films based on them!