Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Classified Ads > Promotion

Old 11-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
dimkanovikov
Basic Member

Thumbs Up Free and Open Source Software for Screenwriters

Hi everybody. I create new screenwriting software named KIT Scenarist. My project is free and open source and currently it in active development phase.

Application contains 4 main modules:
  • Research - for collecting all materials about project;
  • Cards - corkboard for outlining;
  • Script - screenplay editor;
  • Statistics - production reports and plots.
I want to share this project with you and I hope that app will be useful for all screenwriters. Project's website - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/index.html

If the project is interesting for you and you decide to try it, I'll be glad to hear your opinion about it. Maybe you have suggestions for improvement, or just want to express your opinion, then happy to hear you.

Thank you!
dimkanovikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
El Director
Basic Member

Very nice! I wasn't quite sure about it at first with that white interface, but then I saw your elegantly designed settings menu and the button to make it dark. I'm quite impressed! Reminds me of an open source version of Adobe Story, but a bit more thought out.

What font is it using, and can it be changed? Also, what kind of script formats can I import if I wanted to bring a script I started in FadeIn?

I'm putting the finishing touches on a training series I'm releasing soon for filmmakers, and if you don't mind, I'd love to give your app a shoutout. I'm not a fan of Celtx, and the other free one I like is Trelby, which isn't available on Mac. Yours being truly cross platform could really gain some traction in the screenwriting realm

Side note: I'm in the middle of teaching myself Russian and cyrillic for a trip next year, so I might have to give the Russian one a try

Last edited by El Director; 11-03-2016 at 11:51 AM.
El Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
dimkanovikov
Basic Member

indietalk, hey!

El Director, thanks for you reply! By default it used Courier New, but also contains templates with Courier Prime (in both Final Draft templates uses Courier Prime font too). You can change template at Settings - Templates Library - choose one and press check button (or you can do it in Settings - Script Editor - Editing - Editor template).

You can import directly from FDX-file (Menu - Import - Browse file to import).

Haha! Be sure that Russian translation has a bit less of typos

Last edited by dimkanovikov; 11-03-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
El Director
Basic Member

Quote:
El Director, thanks for you reply! By default it used Courier New, but also contains templates with Courier Prime (in both Final Draft templates uses Courier Prime font too). You can change template at Settings - Templates Library - choose one and press check button (or you can do it in Settings - Script Editor - Editing - Editor template).

You can import directly from FDX-file (Menu - Import - Browse file to import).

Haha! Be sure that Russian translation has a bit less of typos
Oh great! Courier Prime is actually what I wanted to use, so I'm glad there's a way to get it. I'll experiment with the FDX import too in just a bit. Keep up the great work!

Just gave you a like on Facebook too
Old 11-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
dimkanovikov
Basic Member

El Director thanks a lot! If you'll need some help or explanations just let me know. Or if you'll have suggestions for improvement, or want to express your opinion, please let me know about it too.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
El Director
Basic Member

Will do. I'll give it all a closer look tonight when I get home. спасибо!
Old 11-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #8
dimkanovikov
Basic Member

You are welcome!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
maz
Basic Member

Any chance you could implement importing Trelby files (.trelby)? I have a lot of files in this format and it's a pain having to export them to another file format just to try out a new tool...

Last edited by maz; 11-04-2016 at 06:41 PM.
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:44 AM   #10
dimkanovikov
Basic Member

Hello, maz. It's a great idea! I will implement it in one of future releases. Currently you can export script as Final Draft XML from Trelby and then import resulting file in KIT Scenarist.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
El Director
Basic Member

So I played with it this weekend and I really like it! It's fast, stable, and looks great too (easy on the eyes is important). Out of curiousity, I decided to open one of my scripts in KIT, FadeIn and Final Draft. I made sure all three apps were set to US letter (8.5x11) and used Courier Prime sz 12. I also bolded all my scene headings as that's how I like it. What I found is that the page counts differed massivly. Final Draft clocked in at 128 pages, FadeIn at 97 pages, while KIT only had 92 pages. Any idea why this is?
Old 11-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
dimkanovikov
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Director View Post
So I played with it this weekend and I really like it! It's fast, stable, and looks great too (easy on the eyes is important). Out of curiousity, I decided to open one of my scripts in KIT, FadeIn and Final Draft. I made sure all three apps were set to US letter (8.5x11) and used Courier Prime sz 12. I also bolded all my scene headings as that's how I like it. What I found is that the page counts differed massivly. Final Draft clocked in at 128 pages, FadeIn at 97 pages, while KIT only had 92 pages. Any idea why this is?
Hey. It's a great news! Big thanks for you feedback!

And yes, actually I have idea. There is some points, why it can happen:
1. KIT Scenarist now not support MORE and CONT'D for dialogues and other blocks in editing mode (it's more preffered feature for next releases). Currently it supports it just when you export script (by setting check mark in advanced export settings).
2. It can be some difference in page margins.
3. As I know Final Draft not supports Courier Prime and it can be main issue why it has so many pages (http://kb.finaldraft.com/article/1001/27915/). Try to check it with Courier Final Draft font.

I will check all these points tomorrow and find out the reason.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
El Director
Basic Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Normalizing the margins between the three brought KIT Scenarist to the same number of pages as Fade In, but it was off by 10 or 15 lines, so that might be the MORE and CONT'D issue. At least knowing those two now match close is good. That's with Courier Prime.

If I switch to Courier Final Draft as you suggested, KIT Scenarist and FD have the same number of pages, just off by a few lines, probably for the same reason, which is 96 pages. So it looks like everything is pretty close now. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #14
dimkanovikov
Basic Member

Thank you. It's good. But I found one more trouble with our template - Scene Headings top spacing must be 2 lines instead 1. I fix all these bugs in next release.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #15
El Director
Basic Member

Great, can't wait! Let us know when it's available