A producer's nightmare-- problem actors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on a low budget feature for +3 years... in fact, the first day of shooting was 3 years ago this week (June 17, 2002). On this first day of shooting, the DAT machine broke-- and there was no usable dialogue.

So I continued to shoot the film and hoped that I could edit around and dub... fix it in post. I had no other choice since I had a very strict deadline to complete shooting (limited access to locations and the place I was staying which was the primary location).

I began post a few weeks after wrapping. Several months later it became appearant that other scenes were needed.

So I contacted the actors and crew and got together another shoot the following summer. We shot for several days straight during the summer then one day per weekend because of their schedules. I also began to film another project with the actors simultaneously because of the limited access to locations. The actors' moods had noticably changed from the first shoot, however-- they began to complain about the pay ($480 per day on a low budget indie...) and the heat and the cars and the air,,,, but otherwise the shooting was going along well.

Then in mid September 2003, the actors showed up +90minutes late to one shoot, and have not shown up to any shoot since. I have scheduled 3 shoots since, and given them over 20 days notice (the contract specifies that I give them at least 2 days)-- still they were no-shows.

I sent many many emails and waited and waited... nothing. Then after sending several legal threats, was told to speak to one's agent. So I called and emailed him. He asked if I would pay airfare for the shoot. I agreed,, (though I am not contractually obligated to do so). Several days later I was told that the actor was not available for my project.

So I had an attorney review their contracts. He said they are valid and it is clear that they must appear if I give them 2 or more days' notice... So he wrote them each a letter asking them to contact me to resume filmming. Nothing from one,, only a non-working phone number from the other.

I was advised to not include any names because this information may harm the actors, and I will yield to that despite the fact that their actions are interfering with my ability to finish my film. This has been the case for over 20 months now of them not showing up for 1 day of neccessary reshoots. I do not believe it is libelous for me to post provable facts about someone interfering with my business. If I were making false claims to harm them I could be opening myself up for a suit against myself-- I have no desire to do that. Right now, I'm trying to gain some other perspectives and to hopefully help other people to avoid going through the same unneccessary trama.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions ???

Thanks,

JB

(edit; punctuation)

Last edited:
Wow cool. Two more offensive posts. What else can you people do here besides heckle and offend me ?? Juggle ?? Sew ??

Of course actors are replacable-- am I supposed to say they aren't ? Harvey Keitel was the original star of "Apocalypse Now", but was replaced. I guess that also makes me the bad guy here, eh ?

Yes, my goal is to PRODUCE FILMS. When actors don't show up, I find another way.

Please someone, lock this thread.

Wow... it's not like incredibly obvious that it's everyone versus me or anything...

You've all added so much here. Thanks for... being insulted by such a fine bunch for 6 pages.

Wow, people really are important. Thanks for the lesson...

Last edited:
Wow... it's not like incredibly obvious that it's everyone versus me or anything...

Ever think that maybe you're in the wrong and everyone is pretty tired of politely trying to explain to you how to make your chosen career path work more easily when all you do is respond with arguments...?

Naw, of course not - you're always right and everyone has it in for you, because you're so special and great and you'll show us all, I bet...

Ever think that maybe you're in the wrong

For hiring actors ? Or for trying to help others avoid a situation I wish I would have avoided ?

when all you do is respond with arguments...?

Have you READ my posts ?

Naw, of course not - you're always right and everyone has it in for you, because you're so special and great and you'll show us all, I bet...

No--just pointing out the flow of the thread. You've all really added alot here... literally almost nothing but insults and bogus info.

I've owned dogs all my life... and I know for sure, there are no bad dogs just bad owners....

This has nothing to do with the thread... I just thought we could talk about dog training instead of this thankless "horse/water/drink routine."

Does everyone else here use the "ignore bad behaviour, praise good" model?

So, when your dog barks, you walk away from it... but when it's quiet you give it affection.

It's always worked for me :yes:

Last edited:
Does everyone else here use the "ignore bad behaviour, praise good" model?

What have you all added here ? According to the incredibly retarded information in this thread, I (the producer) is in the wrong for actors not showing up. That's my bad behavior ?

Since everyone here is so sure I'm in the wrong, and is incredibly general about my "wrong", why don't you be more specific ? While you're at it, make sure to include a reality check, realizing that I don't *control* actors.

How does someone else's actions become my bad behavior ? Please don't generalize or patronize me for a change while oyu're at it.

Locked at the request of the thread starter.

This is not the place for calling people names, this is the place to discuss. If you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread, please refrain from posting in it.

Besides, I think this thread ran its course long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back