Anatomy of a Last Minute Submission

Let's have some reality-blog fun. It is one week until the deadline and a few days ago I decided I would try to put together a submission despite the late start. I will update this thread through out the week with my progress or lack thereof (see closing note in reference to Lauren Graham). This will help take some of the stress off trying to do too much at once and have some fun with this project. Here is the status to date.

My idea came to me about a week ago, I'd have to check my journal to be sure. I let it fester in my head.

Wednesday night after play practice (community theater) I wrote the script. 6 pages. 1st draft. I know I need to edit and crank out a second draft but decide to usher in a new era of filmmaking and edit on the fly, meaning as I am filming. Well see how that works out.

Friday after work. The family and I go to the pumpkin farm. I am walking through the corn maze wondering how to fit this into the script. I change my mind after about two minutes of walking through cornstalks realizing it isn't as exciting as I first thought.

About 630PM I stop by the nearest thrift store to buy the main prop: an older style telephone (you can't communicate with the dead without an old style telephone). I would prefer one with a rotary dial, but who am I fooling, it is 2005. Right now I have two Princess style phones that I picked up for a buck a piece. Tomorrow morning I will check a few more thrift stores before I start filming at 1PM.

The wife reads the script and giggles at the fact that she is violently slaughtered. I assure her this is not some subconcious pangs flittering to the surface of my psyche. At least I think.

I stop by my friends house who are the stars of the film and give them a script. We discuss it and I give them a loose flexible plan for filming. I look over their house to get an idea how to storyboard the scenes and other technical babble I'm concerned with. Lighting is the the main issue but I'll have to work around that.

I head home and look on the net and get a few leads on music. Bonus.

Script in hand I head upstairs to begin breaking down the scenes and storyboarding. But first I pull all my equipment out the closet (I really do have a manly camera, really) and get it charging. I check my tape supply and no go, I am out and add it to my shopping list in the morning with a few other last minute props. Equipment is ready and I storyboard.

I am currently on break for a glass of orange juice. I need a 'to do' checklist or some way to keep track of what I have done so I know what I still need to do.

I come up with the idea for 'Anatomy of a Last Minute Submission' which satisfies the needs from the latter paragraph.

Signing off, I am heading upstairs to finish the last three scenes before heading to bed. I will just sleep with my clothes on so I can save some time in the morning when I get up.

How many Certs do you think would equal a good morning tooth brushing? I often wonder if Oliver Stone asks himself this same question from time to time?

Talk to you all tomorrow with another update of my progress or lack there of (having a new HDTV is making this a difficult project. Once you've seen Lauren Graham in High Definition on a 52 inch screen, it kinds makes the rest of existence really bland!)

Anatomy of a Last Minute Submission II

First day of filming.

Morning - Last minute run for props. No luck on a rotary dial phone. I figure since I live in Utah they are still in use. The only way I would be able to get a rotary dial phone is to pry one from a dead Utahans hands.

Buying a rather LONNNG knife at the local thrift store was a hoot. I wish I'd have had my camera. I find this long knife and I am making various serial killer motions with it in the middle of the aisle. I am also sliding it down by my side checking how well it conceals! The lady stocking shelves walks AROUND me asking in a nervous voice, "How are YOU today?" Classic.

Stop by Wal*Mart for some fake blood and DV tapes (only to discover later I DID have tapes after all). The fake blood came in a container similiar to car motor oil. I wonder if the blood was 30 or 40 weight.

Scout a cemetery for a possible location. I don't scout long since I figure any cemetety nice enough for a United States Postal worker to enjoy their lunch at will work just fine in my movie.

It is now 2PM, I was suppossed to begin shooting at 1PM. As the producer I tell myself the director to get off my butt and get this movie in gear because time is money. Myself the director tells myself the producer to stop telling me how to make my movie and just sign the checks like I'm suppossed to. Or something to that effect.

3:15PM - The camera rolls. The actors, who aren't really actors, playing a married couple, who are actually married can't seem to work with each other because the wife, everytime she has to deliver a line to her husband breaks out giggling. I explain Colin Farrel wasn't available, at least I don't think he was since he didn't return my phone calls, and we have to work with what we've got.

Interior dialogue scenes but I forgot to get rope. (You can't communicate with the dead with out some good rope.) So a pizza run and dollar store run later we are hitting the lines.

It's getting late and we are behind. Who is ever ahead making a movie? We are doing the scene with the fake blood last since it may require a shower to remove. I can't think of anything funny to type here as it is late. I'll think of somethign to post tomorrow.

12:15 AM - After I return home I need to capture todays footage onto computer and review for any footage needing a re-shoot. I left my equipment on location (sounds official but it is just a friends house.) including my spare battery and charger and DC adapter. So bedtime for bonzo with an early morning run to retrieve equipment. Tomorrow is the last full day I can shoot. I have filmed over 50% at this point but not sure if anything needs t be re filmed.

Being clever after 1230AM isn't working for me. Good night!

Back