Corporate Video

I'm making a corporate video.

They have a script. It's okay.

Do you think it's a good idea to start with the music first...find that, then worry about the visuals? We need to record the Boss reading the script (will be voice over for the video). SO Music first? Then throw in the visuals times to the beats...

what do you think?

I know, this is not what you asked, but:

Do you have suggestions to improve the script?
Okay doesn't sound like their target audience is going to care.

"Worrying about the visuals later" sounds like there is not really a script, but just a text the boss wants to read.
What is the key message of that text?
What is the main subject?
And what is their goal for this video?

To anwser the question you did ask:
yes, it is possible to pick music first and use it to edit the visuals.

If it's just background music, then do that last.. Focus on getting a good performance out of the people speaking and making sure you capture it as well as you can. Then skip on over to audiojungle in post and pick a decent backing track.

for a narrative music first can help. you establish a mood and pacing .. it's easier to change the pacing of an edit than the pacing of a song.

but for a corporate video… hmmm. i don't see an advantage.

A corporate video is a narrative as well.
Although I must admit there are a lot of talking head videos pretending to be corporate videos ;)

For this video I don't remember what came first: I believe I found the music when I just started the edit. Anyway, I made sure the music and edit came together at some key moments.
The script and voice-over text were written before shooting and before picking the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLkJWhbtLsY

Back