It follows-movie

I didn’t get it. Perhaps I fell for the hype. I really don’t see why so many horror outlets are touting “It Follows” as being so great. I’m a huge horror fan, so the prospect of getting a new, original horror film, that had all the critics raving, was quite exciting. But, in the end, I thought it was massively flawed and, for the majority of it’s run time, quite boring.

The film has two major flaws, in my opinion. First, the entity is, in no-way-shape-or-form, a threat. It just walks towards you. Oooooh, scary! They played on the fact that it can look like anyone, as if you somehow wouldn’t be able to pick it out from a crowd. Of course you could; it’s the person that’s walking very slowly towards you, staring at you, looking like they want to kill you. The second flaw is how stupid the characters are. It’s ridiculous, even by horror standards. What’s more annoying is that their stupidity has been heralded as being “realistic”, due to the fact that they’re young. Characters in horror film are normally stupid. One of the things most criticised about the horror genre as a whole, is that the characters are always stupid. But they’re normally young. Why has characters stupidity ever been a problem, if it’s fine here?

What I did like were the numerous John Carpenter homages; the ‘Shape’-like stalking and the synth score.

Anyway, I accept that I seem to be completely alone in my non-enjoyment of the movie, so perhaps it’s just me. I definitely need to give it another look.

"Sexually transmitted ghosts." While that really is the essence of the plot, the movie does a good job of taking a ridiculous premise and sucking you in. I don't think IT FOLLOWS is a movie to rave about, but I did enjoy it for it's 80's feel and for the simplicity of both the story and music score. Totally sums up the "have sex out of wed lock, then you will die" theme of that decade.

I thought it was cool. it didn't try to be anything else. seems like the makers knew not to try to hard to make it overly dramatic but also had some fun while making it. I really love how it was shot in the midwest which gave it a home type of feeling.

I wouldn't say it was the best ever but defiantly not the worst. I would rank it in with the ring. and i can see my self re watching this movie.

I love that line

"jay there is this thing. and it's gonna follow you." lol

Back