Blair witch budget 25000?

Marketing can be included in the final budget. Marketing is not
included in the production budget. The production budget isn't
included in the marketing budget.

That figure doesn't include marketing or the money spent to make
the film ready for theatrical release.

Yeah i bet if they shot on a set they would have had better lighting and sound too.

wonder why they didn't think of all that.

Blair Witch is famous for a reason... The extreme situation the actors were put in caused that too real emotion they delivered. If it had been made more professionally, we wouldn't know its name.

Blair Witch is famous for a reason... The extreme situation the actors were put in caused that too real emotion they delivered. If it had been made more professionally, we wouldn't know its name.

I knew it had to be something ;)

That's kinda ridiculous. Why would adr cost that much? Boom pole woulda fixed that
In some cases they did use a boom pole. But most of the time they
were on such a low budget they didn't have enough people on location
to carry one. They shot with very limited crew and equipment. Once
the film was picked up for distribution all the audio needed to be redone
for theatrical release.

It might be kinda ridiculous but that's what happened. Perhaps with
more money to spend up front they could have avoided the audio issues.
All too many filmmakers don't have audio as a top priority when making
an extremely low budget movie. And it's the rare few that get picked up
by a major distributor willing to put so much into making the audio
theater acceptable. They were lucky.

That's kinda ridiculous. Why would adr cost that much? Boom pole woulda fixed that

Because it's not just the ADR. Once you have replaced all the dialog there is nothing behind it; they are just words floating in empty space. You have to do Foley to recreate all the sounds that the actors made - footsteps, clothing, falls, props handling and dozens of other things you would never think of. Then there's sound effects - all of the ambient backgrounds are created from scratch and, again, all kinds of other things you would never think of.

Then you have to mix it all together into a cohesive, believable whole.

BWP was, what, about 80 minutes? If they spent 40 work-hours per linear minute of film that's 3,200 work hours. Divide the $1 million by 3,200 and you get a little over $300 per hour. That's pretty damned cheap, especially considering you had to coach complete newb actors through the ADR process, and get good performances, and cut them together cohesively, and sync them seamlessly. Plus all the other work and a good mix on a nice stage? Not bad at all.

In some cases they did use a boom pole. But most of the time they
were on such a low budget they didn't have enough people on location
to carry one. They shot with very limited crew and equipment. Once
the film was picked up for distribution all the audio needed to be redone
for theatrical release.

It might be kinda ridiculous but that's what happened. Perhaps with
more money to spend up front they could have avoided the audio issues.
All too many filmmakers don't have audio as a top priority when making
an extremely low budget movie. And it's the rare few that get picked up
by a major distributor willing to put so much into making the audio
theater acceptable. They were lucky.

i understand low budget i'm more wondering why adr would cost a million dollars

Because it's not just the ADR. Once you have replaced all the dialog there is nothing behind it; they are just words floating in empty space. You have to do Foley to recreate all the sounds that the actors made - footsteps, clothing, falls, props handling and dozens of other things you would never think of. Then there's sound effects - all of the ambient backgrounds are created from scratch and, again, all kinds of other things you would never think of.

Then you have to mix it all together into a cohesive, believable whole.

BWP was, what, about 80 minutes? If they spent 40 work-hours per linear minute of film that's 3,200 work hours. Divide the $1 million by 3,200 and you get a little over $300 per hour. That's pretty damned cheap, especially considering you had to coach complete newb actors through the ADR process, and get good performances, and cut them together cohesively, and sync them seamlessly. Plus all the other work and a good mix on a nice stage? Not bad at all.

its only cheap to the big studio who bought it. If it were an indie all the way . You could of got a good job for 100 000

I guess it is also about marketing spin: "amazing for so little money!"
While the big blockbusters are probably including the marketing budget to sound bigger "250 million budget!"

I'm acquaintances with Ed and he's told me a little about the shoot. The $25,000 was just for the actual shoot, which doesn't include how much they had to fix in post + cost to have their 16mm film prints blown up to 35mm. Factor in the additional costs to screen the film.

A lot of money had to go into post. Most of the movie literally was them literally telling the cast and crew to walk through the woods by themselves. Ed and Dan would then sneak up on the actors with cameras when they weren't expecting it. Other times they would make those stick symbols and film the actor's natural reactions to finding them as the actors had little to no knowledge of what they would stumble across.

its only cheap to the big studio who bought it. If it were an indie all the way . You could of got a good job for 100 000

Total Lifetime Grosses - "The Blair Witch Project"

Domestic: $140,539,099 56.5%
+ Foreign: $108,100,000 43.5%
= Worldwide: $248,639,099

Hey, spending a few million on post and marketing for a return of almost 125 times what was invested? I would settle for that!

And, yes; I could probably have done a decent job for about $100,000. But mixing on a really nice mix stage will still set you back another $100,000 to $200,000.

It's not about the money itself, per se. It's about the quality of the final product. Would I have done a nice job? Sure! But not as good as what was finally released; I don't have the same resources.

Didn't El Mariachi have to do the same thing?

Yes.

Back