Title page copyright format

Hello, I would like to ask how do I write to my title page that the script is registered at www.copyright.gov.
I found on internet this example (also I asked at copyright.gov):

Copyright © 2001 by Fatty Turner
Registered, WGAw

Do I just change the WGAw and make it www.copyright.gov? If not how can I mention that it is registered at www.copyright.gov and not at WGAw?

No need to mention that registered at the WGA

Thank you for the answer. From a small reaserch I did I found that there is a little confusion on whether the reader will understand that you have your script registered on copyright.gov or they will assume that you have it registered somewhere else! This is why I'm asking about how to write that.

It might be worth for you to do some more research.

I've found that there are two definite camps. One camp is exactly what rik said. The other is NEVER EVER include it on your scripts.

I've been taught don't put "Copyright ©" anywhere on your script. It's assumed you aren't an idiot and have registered copyright protection.

I'm not very sure though that it's assumed that you registered at copyright.gov instead of WGA. Because the format as you tell me is the same!

I'm talking professionals here. If you're aiming to get paid, occasionally you need to sue. registration with the WGA doesn't help in this regard. Copyright.org can. This is why it's assumed that you've registered your material with copyright.org and you're not an idiot.

Yes the format IS THE SAME. The format is the same even if you fail to register your script with both.

The way I suggest is not putting ANYTHING to say the script is subject to copyright protection, regardless whether you register it with copyright.org or the WGA. The format is to put nothing either way.

In fact, you don't need to register it with copyright.org and/or WGA and can still put the whole "Copyright 2015 Random Joe". It's partially for that very reason that I'm saying to leave it off. Stating Copyright on written material has not been necessary for many decades.

While I cannot attest to this, some say that if you include the WGA registration number on your script, it's a big sign that screams "run away, amateur writer".

mlesemann is right though, you're overthinking things. If someone submits a script to me, it's not something a subject worthy of my attention. A script with copyright or without won't matter either way.

Back