Making A Production Company Logo

I have Photoshop and FCP and I'm making a logo with very minimal movement.

My biggest question before I start: What resolution and aspect ratio do I design it in? I want to design something that works for all future projects without becoming distorted or cut off.

What does Focus Features do, for instance? Design multiple sizes?

Hmm... Most of the professional companies I've seen tend to be around 10 seconds, and my project is a feature film.

I ended up designing the still image in 1920x1080 but I came up with an animation idea that is out of my skill range. I want to have a tiny asteroid drift into the moon, but the blue forcefield blocks it and sends a out a ripple.

Any ideas how to make that happen?

MM-Logo.jpg

Hmm... Most of the professional companies I've seen tend to be around 10 seconds, and my project is a feature film.

MM-Logo.jpg

Your moon is upside down. You have the south side up. It may not seem like much to you, but to those who know, it's like a poke-in-the-eye.

As for the logo, long logos are a buzzkill for film festival screeners. They tire of sitting through them to get to the meat. If you keep it short, or better yet, avoid an ego, ahem, I mean logo entirely, you'll be in good graces with the festival submission screeners from the get go.

Good luck!

For what it's worth, maybe a long logo is bad, maybe it's not. Maybe everybody hates a long logo. All I know is that big companies spend a lot of money on making nice logos and then putting it in our faces, for a lot longer than 4 seconds.

I'm not saying that you should make a long logo, I'm just saying that that option is also out there.

Last edited:
As for the logo, long logos are a buzzkill for film festival screeners. They tire of sitting through them to get to the meat. If you keep it short, or better yet, avoid an ego, ahem, I mean logo entirely, you'll be in good graces with the festival submission screeners from the get go.

Good luck!

I'm honestly so sick of your advice on this forum. It's so far out there.

You are saying that if you use a logo then you have an ego? It's called branding. Yes, for short films they may not matter and you should keep them short but for features I'd most certainly put a logo.

If you want to get on the good graces of the festival screeners then make a good movie. A 4 second logo isn't going to piss anybody off except you.

If a film-fest wants to reject me for my logo, they can go to hell. I spent a year making my damn movie, you can spend 15-seconds watching my awesome logo!

And yes, as DeJager pointed out, it is about branding. I don't give a damn if people remember my name. I want them to remember my production company's name (news-flash: my name isn't Cracker Funk).

I kinda feel like the movie is the only thing that matters. Do whatever you want with the logo (assuming you don't infringe any copyrights, etc.).

I think your logo looks very nice. :)

I'm honestly so sick of your advice on this forum. It's so far out there.

I have some choice words I can use to describe your comments as well, should I share?

You are saying that if you use a logo then you have an ego? It's called branding. Yes, for short films they may not matter and you should keep them short but for features I'd most certainly put a logo.

If one is watching their 12th 45-second logo of the night viewing film submissions, ego is the first word that comes to mind.

As for branding, entertainment lawyers will tell you that filmmakers need a to create a new production company for EACH of your projects. You can't reuse the same logo. How is this logo branding going to work? One needs to brand YOUR NAME or perhaps a film franchise. But production company? It's a one-off name.

If you want to get on the good graces of the festival screeners then make a good movie. A 4 second logo isn't going to piss anybody off except you.

A) I was the first person to suggest a 4 sec logo in this thread. Are you reading all the posts? B) Longer logos ARE going to piss off film festival submission screeners. We can disagree on this and let people reading this thread make up their own minds.

Last edited:
Back