Audio Technica Lavs?

So AT makes great mixers and recorders but what are their wireless lavs like?

For example, a combo of Atw-r03, Atw-t27, At829 Mic.

Is there an alternative to wireless laws? What I mean by this is, for example, if I wired up a lav with a wire on it up to, say, a Fostex FR2-le.

What are the alternatives?

You'll get all sorts of opinions. Just remember - opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.

Audio Technica products are mostly aimed at consumers, not professionals. This is not to say that their products are substandard, but you need to keep in mind what their target market is. If you buy a $40 lav, it's going to sound and perform like a $40 lav. If you buy a professional unit, it will sound and perform like a professional unit.

If the subject will not be moving around - i.e. a seated interview - then a hardwired lav will work just fine; hardwired lavs are standard in the news industry.

You'll get all sorts of opinions. Just remember - opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.

Audio Technica products are mostly aimed at consumers, not professionals. This is not to say that their products are substandard, but you need to keep in mind what their target market is. If you buy a $40 lav, it's going to sound and perform like a $40 lav. If you buy a professional unit, it will sound and perform like a professional unit.

If the subject will not be moving around - i.e. a seated interview - then a hardwired lav will work just fine; hardwired lavs are standard in the news industry.

What is a good, hard wired lav setup and what kind of price range?

You'll need an XLR on the lav to connect to the Fostex.

At the top end of "reasonable" is the Tram TR-50 with a hardwired XLR cable. It has it's own phantom power supply (battery needed, of course) or phantom power can be supplied externally. $310.

Audio-Technica AT899 w/ AT8537 Power Module; about $275.

Audio-Technica AT803B w/ AT8531 Power Module; around $150.

Otherwise they're all going to be just a little different; some will have a convertor and/or power supply, some won't. Those that do not come with a convertor and/or power supply can be finicky about the exact phantom voltage(s) they like; be sure that you get the proper convertor so you don't fry the mic. You can get a "budget" mic, but you still need to get it wired into the FR-2; that's where the fun and expense come in.

You'll need an XLR on the lav to connect to the Fostex.

At the top end of "reasonable" is the Tram TR-50 with a hardwired XLR cable. It has it's own phantom power supply (battery needed, of course) or phantom power can be supplied externally. $310.

Audio-Technica AT899 w/ AT8537 Power Module; about $275.

Audio-Technica AT803B w/ AT8531 Power Module; around $150.

Otherwise they're all going to be just a little different; some will have a convertor and/or power supply, some won't. Those that do not come with a convertor and/or power supply can be finicky about the exact phantom voltage(s) they like; be sure that you get the proper convertor so you don't fry the mic. You can get a "budget" mic, but you still need to get it wired into the FR-2; that's where the fun and expense come in.

OK. So I could buy a Tram Tr-50 (used) then I have to buy a power convertor of some sort before plugging it into a Fostex. Is this correct?

Correct; you would need a TR79 power supply for the TR-50. Make sure that you get the proper power supply/adapter for the TR-50 connector as there are a number of different end connectors for attaching the TR-50 to various wireless transmitters.

Back