Creating a character... Stupid question...

That is going to be taken wrong by some... Some will think this is me and that I am an idiot lol...

But I am just trying to come up with a new character for my future project/film

Was just wondering if you think somebody like this would make nice leading character in a comedy/drama?

I couldn't describe him on a piece of paper so turned on the camera and let it record me... him... :)

would you be interested in watching film with a character like this, is he "strong" and could he be "likeable" ?
I know it might be hard to say just after this litle video but... you get the vision :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6uNw77_b8Y

Last edited:
It looks like a film on mental illness. In my opinion, it's very, very hard to pull off well as most of those stories don't have much to do with overcoming obstacles and challenges. The pieces that come to mind that took on this area well was As good as it gets and before that One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest.

Is your character strong? No.
Is your character likeable? No.

I hate to say, from this performance, you can relate to him about as much as you relate to the looney on the sidewalk sprouting the end of the world is nigh. He's not vulnerable, he's ranting about something most normal people don't care about and he doesn't make us care for the topic.

It looks like a film on mental illness. In my opinion, it's very, very hard to pull off well as most of those stories don't have much to do with overcoming obstacles and challenges. The pieces that come to mind that took on this area well was As good as it gets and before that One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest.

Is your character strong? No.
Is your character likeable? No.

I hate to say, from this performance, you can relate to him about as much as you relate to the looney on the sidewalk sprouting the end of the world is nigh. He's not vulnerable, he's ranting about something most normal people don't care about and he doesn't make us care for the topic.

yeah I understand your point... which is true... But how can I create a character with mental issues that people can relate to? and how can I make it "stronger"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6uNw77_b8Y

You do it the same way you do any character. You set them on a goal, and then you throw obstacles in the way of that goal. In the end, they either overcome the obstacles or not, and either reach the goal or not - but the interesting thing is watching them face and deal with those obstacles. Its easier for the audience if the goal is something they can relate to, although it's not absolutely necessary (i.e. a McGuffin). But if you're trying to get the audience on the side of an otherwise unlikeable or hard to relate to character I would say you probably want a goal the audience can relate to.

So for a character with mental issues, those issues may be obstacles in themselves or may create obstacles around them. A person who can't remember things clearly might have to come up with an external way of overcoming that, while a person who can't speak in coherent sentences may have to overcome the way other people treat them. Or it could be both, for instance in Memento the character has to deal with both his own memory issues (tattoo important things to remember) and the possibility that others are taking advantage of his memory loss. But through it all he's driven towards a goal which the audience can relate to - seeking revenge for the death of a loved one. That creates an initial sympathy for the character, which is then reinforced when we see him being taken advantage of by others.

yeah I understand your point... which is true... But how can I create a character with mental issues that people can relate to? and how can I make it "stronger"?

In my opinion, the the opinion of a few writer teachers, you don't. Movies are usually made from the tales of people overcoming great odds through their action or determination. Mental Illness, alcoholism, drug addiction and so on are often overcome by the help of others. It makes these stories gimped from the start.

It doesn't mean it cannot happen, but if you're good enough to write this, you're a way better writer than me and you're probably better off writing something else unless it's your passion project.

Back