• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Interesting color correction breakdown

This is a great time-lapse condensing a 30 minute color correction session - for a single shot from a beauty commercial - into about 3 minutes. Really shows what a trained colorist can do, what kinds of things are possible, and how much work can go into a single shot:

https://vimeo.com/108466337

Thanks IDOM, that was especially interesting for me. To see some basic editing procedures applied to moving images (I'm mainly a stills guy in case you're wondering) was cool. While very rudimentary as far as retouch and enhancement type post processing goes, It gave me some great insight into the application and effectiveness of masks and tracking etc in film.

V.cool ta. :)

Definitely - he does mention in the comments that there was additional retouching and skin grading not shown, this is really just focused on the general grading part. This is also certainly more complex than you'd likely see in a feature length project for a single shot, but there's definitely a lot more of this type of 're-lighting' done in the grading process than most people realize.

That was really interesting. I love the stuff you can do with software, so many cool little tricks.

When working in Adobes Premier Pro and after effects. Which one would be more likely used to do this? If not either of these, then what software would be best/which do you use?

WAX

This is also certainly more complex than you'd likely see in a feature length project for a single shot, but there's definitely a lot more of this type of 're-lighting' done in the grading process than most people realize.

Especially as it's a beauty industry advert. There isn't a single bit of media they will put out that hasn't had the crap shopped out of it.

At least with the low resolution of video limiting the perceivable 'flaws' , this is a fairly straighforward task at present. Once 4k TV becomes the standard however, things like skin blemishes and stray hairs will become more apparent, and more and more time will be needed to bring the detailed retouching post work up to a standard.

Especially as it's a beauty industry advert. There isn't a single bit of media they will put out that hasn't had the crap shopped out of it.

At least with the low resolution of video limiting the perceivable 'flaws' , this is a fairly straighforward task at present. Once 4k TV becomes the standard however, things like skin blemishes and stray hairs will become more apparent, and more and more time will be needed to bring the detailed retouching post work up to a standard.

More time the MUA needs. After the casting director spent more time finding the perfect skin. :P
Some things need to be right in camera when 4K becomes mainstream... ;)

hahah true :D

Fine by me! It wont take long to transfer my skills to moving images. :)

No matter how 'perfect' someones skin and makeup is, there are many things that can only be done in post. Thankfully, computing power is plenty good enough to keep up with time demands for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully though (and despite my best employment interests!), ultimately this will lead to the opposite - whereby it becomes futile to try and fight it, and the glamourisation (of women in particular) will start being pushed back in favour of reality.

There's only so many hours in a day to be touching up people! :lol:

When working in Adobes Premier Pro and after effects. Which one would be more likely used to do this? If not either of these, then what software would be best/which do you use?

You could do this with the built-in tools in AE more easily, but it's not as efficient as a dedicated grading tool. Speedgrade would probably be the best option if you want to stick with Adobe tools (and you already have it if you have a CC subscription).

Otherwise Resolve Lite would be your best option, as it's both very powerful and free. In the video the guy is using Baselight, which is a hardware-based system that starts at $65k. They do have a software-only version for avid & fcp which runs $1k, but the toolset isn't significantly different than what you'd get with Resolve for free.

Too bad, it looks like the video was locked down by the creator - might not have been expecting to get the kind of publicity it did, and it's entirely possible the client didn't want it public.

I should've downloaded it :P

If I remember correctly the client was a big brand in lotions or other beauty products.
They probably don't like it when people can see the beauty of the talent was enhanced in post instead of created by their products... Eventhough everyone know that happens :P

They probably don't like it when people can see the beauty of the talent was enhanced in post instead of created by their products... Eventhough everyone know that happens :P

:D lol IT's reach probably gave them a good boost in views. :D

But honestly, this was seriously mundane/basic compared to what I have had to do to some images! I would consider the edits in that vid to be bare minimum for most portraits, and nowhere near what is typically required of a glamour/beauty shoot. Though as we mentioned earlier in the thread, once 4K vid becomes the norm, you vid guys are gonna be all over the retouching. :yes:

Back