Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Filmmaking Misc.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
Henri Savolainen
Basic Member

I wish not to be rude, but some observations:

- Airwolf, you seem to be keen to make a movie, altough you do not seem to have an "idea" for the film. I might be wrong, but I think it could to better to create a GOOD movie starting from the idea for the film, instead of the "how am I going to make profit of it" point of view.

- What I can understand from your posts & questions, you are not the most experienced film maker, but that's OK, as you stated yourself, starting out. So many questions you have, are questions only you can answer. You seem to worry about a few hundred bucks, but in the next post you bring up 2000 dollar cars, it's hard for anyone to answer questions when nobody knows what the basic treatment for the film is. How important are the props for the BIG picture, how important are the locations, are the locations irrelevant? Is the movie about the persons and their relations or maybe a persons or a family's relations to the locations? What story do you wish to tell?

- Money is never a problem, as long as the film and the budget walk hand in hand. You can make a good short with 500.000 USD, or a good feature with 10.000 USD, it all depends on the movie you are making. If the idea is something like "Phonebooth" (feature film) you could make it cheap, if it's something that requires a lot of expensive props, hundreds of cars, life fire, explosions and is a solo act of Bruce Willis (a short film) you might have to pay something for it.

- Getting money and making profit might not be the best reason to make movies. Some passion please. If you put out a few grand and make a good movie (according to you and hopefully others too) that never makes profit, so what, you've made something and that counts. Sometimes it might get you new job, or teach you something.

- One of the biggest problems with amateur films (I believe there's a difference between amateur and independent movie making) is that the story doesn't hold up. This issue escalates the as the movie gets longer. An idea, story can work for 5-15 minutes, but does it for 90 minutes? Sometimes a story gets cramped into 30 minutes and it's a mess, cause it would require at least 70 or 90 minutes. Get the story, write the script and then you'll know if it's a short or a feature. One guideline could be, 1 page per minute.

- Writing. Not even goin' there. Just remember that characters are just people like you. They have a past, the present and the future. They have an agenda, a life and reasons. Make sure you ask yourself, how are these things related to each other and are they matters of relevance to the story. Depth is a tricky thing.

- Festivals, why shouldn't you film get to the big ones? Number 1 rule in film making all around the world. NOBODY knows if a movie will be a success before it is or is not a success. There is no 100% foolproof way to make movies. Yes, some Hollywood flicks a destined to gross a few hundred millions, BUT do they make profit, are they GOOD movies, do they win oscars, do they get into Cannes, maybe, maybe not. This year a film made by a aussie director got into Cannes, in competition for Palme d'Or, filmed on his backyard with a Hi8 camcorder with his kids. What can you say, yes he was a professional film maker, but what does that mean. Nothing more than that he had skills to create something interesting. Send your movie all festivals that you can afford. Usually the fees are 20 to 60 dollars per film. Several festivals require that shorts are less than 15 minutes, and features over 60. But check out their site, or one of the several film fest portals.
- CGI, effects etc. should never be the starting point. They are there only to support the film, not be the film.

- Short, feature, epic, megalomaniac, no matter what you do, just do it. Or as Quentin said it:

"If you want to make a movie, make it. Don't wait for a grant, don't wait for the perfect circumstances, just make it." - Giving advice to young aspiring filmmakers at the 1994 Independent Spirit Awards
Henri Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 11-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #17
Henri Savolainen
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCP View Post

btw, if you want to see the trailer (I've posted this link on the site already) you can see it at: www.drawingchalkpictures.com and then go to 'Previews'.

I wish you the best of luck.
Nice, I hope to see the film one day, looked good and interesting.
Henri Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #18
ramon
Basic Member

just write the best that you can, read it over and make corrections then do it again until you are convinced. before you think of filming anything, make sure you have a story with flow and good dialog. then stop thinking and just do it... dont think it over for ten years like i did. get the peaple you need, have meeting with all of them. ask for help, theres alot of peaple that will help you without pay, just post it here and you will get a response. i will help you with no strings...... do it now..
ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #19
Bpeas
Basic Member

For me it's no question. Shorts. I'm assuming you've posed this question because your interested in making a profit. If you're not, then honestly do whatever you want.

Here's are a few philosophies I live by when it comes to making films.
1. If you can't make a solid short film, good chances are you can't make a good feature.

Story telling wise, you will quickly learn what elements are more important than others. Conflict will need to be raised with every line of dialogue and action on screen. Everything is vital in a short. Once you have nailed down the story telling elements in a short you can work your way up. It is mainly a matter of gaining experience and knowledge.

2. If you are trying to make money, Investors will much more likely look at a short film or two of yours, rather then the whole thing.

Their not stupid, time is money. Think about it on the other side of the table; Would you give money to an independent filmmaker who can't even make a decent short? Most likely not.

3. Growing technology praises the short films.

Look at the recent internet success "Dr. Horrible". Three short films tied together with a few big names and you just made a whole lot of money. People's attention spans are rapidly dwindling and you should account for that. If you want your film accessible to a larger audience. Go for the short.
Bpeas is offline   Reply With Quote