Pace of the Film ? An Example OSAMA (Film)

Hi friends. I wanted to know few things regarding the pace of the film. I had uploaded alink of my short film and from many comments that i received main complain was about the pace. I wanted to know in Short films we should specially keep the pace high?

I know in feature films we need to keep change in Pace but i want to talk about the IRANIAN film OSAMA......which has a slow pace in the whole movie and it still is rated a great movie..and got high rating so why a movie with slow pace was considered great? even it has nothing new except for blaming MUSLIMS....is this only the reason of succes of this movie?? i mean i am sorry to say but every time a film made on MUSLIMS is rated highly when it shows the bad and ugly face of MUSLIMS ........... what is all this?? i am completely confused.:(

You have two very different questions here.

Since I was one who mentioned the pacing of your movie, I’ll tell
you my thoughts on pacing. I have no answer to your question
about movies that show the bad and ugly face of Muslims or why
someone I don’t know may have rated such a movie highly.

Each movie demands different pacing. There is no rule.

I love “OSAMA” - an extraordinary film. I don’t think it’s paced
slowly. The pacing was exactly what was needed for that story.

Since you have gotten many comments about the pacing of your movie
it seems I’m not alone in thinking your editing didn’t work. With
“Chess Game” I felt you didn’t build tension because the entire
movie moved at one, continuos pace. You didn’t change the pacing
at all.

But it was your first movie. Next time try different things when
you are editing. If quicker pacing works - use it. If you find
that keeping a slow pace works for you - then do what’s best for
your story.

That’s why I always tell filmmakers to make a LOT of movies. Make
two movies a month. Try different things. And keep doing that.
You will learn more each time you make a movie.

Thnaks for the reply directorik so we can make a conclusion that that every story needs a different pace?
Well i also liked the film OSAMA but thats is true that on few occasion i really got boared. And i personaly used to think that every movie should have fast pace or atleast at few points the pace should rise.

As for pacing, i would say to look at the film "Crank" (yes, I'm using Crank as an example)... that movie was a HARDCORE fast paced thriller... from minute one to the last scene there is a constant (literal) flow of adrenaline... but even then there are a few slow scenes... because if the movie was fast in EVERY scene the excitement would wear off. The term "beats" is the one you hear most often when talking about pacing. If you follow the analogy of the heart or lungs, there is an "inhale" and "exhale"... kind of like "action" and "reaction"... so the ideal pacing of a movie "breathes"- as in, information is inhaled and actions are taken, which result in the exhaling of reactions.... and in action sequences, you're breathing heavy- characters make quick decisions and their consequences are immediately shown... in slower scenes, a long deep breath reveals information and actions whose effects are either seen later in the flick or later in the scene... that's how I think about it anyway. It's organic.

As for the muslim angle, I'd say it's a reaction to current events... the consciousness of the world is shifting as the old religions and new science collide (in 2012, of course).... in the same way that sports movies, sci-fi, horror and comedy come in spurts when there is something topical. Between 2000-2012, you'll see more films about "2012" (the end of the Mayan calendar) cropping up than in, say, 1987-1999.

From what I can understand, it's easy to mess up the pacing in a first film effort. You get so wrapped up in that well-known rule of thumb to keep the thing moving and avoid anything that isn't absolutely essential to the plot, characters, etc that you just move everything at a very specific pace.

It sounds like you're on the right track though, and that you know what you need to do the next time around. A little more work, and it sounds like you'll get to exactly where you want to be with your films.

As barnaclelapse said:

It sounds like you're on the right track though, and that you know what you need to do the next time around. A little more work, and it sounds like you'll get to exactly where you want to be with your films.

The words are too much encouraging :)

Thnaks for the reply directorik so we can make a conclusion that that every story needs a different pace?
Yes. And every scene in every story needs a different pace.

A thriller needs to alter the pacing to built the suspense.

An action movie that is entirely fast paced leaves no time
for the viewer to catch their breath.

The love song or ballad in a musical needs a different pace
than the big dance number.

A horror film cannot be all slow scenes of people walking
towards danger or all fast cuts. The change of pacing jolts
people, or creates dread.

This is something you are learning in film school. Am I correct?

Zensteve i was talking about the 2003 film.

Directorik
thanks for guiding me and telling me aout PACE. Actually when i saw the movie though no doubt from creative aspect it is good but i felt it a boring film in terms of PACE. :(

yeah.... pacing is different... neither slow pacing nor fast pacing are inherently good... a movie being "slow paced" doesn't automatically mean it's good or bad... 2001: a space odyssey is a great example of a very slow paced film that is still an incredibly good film. manos: the hands of fate, is an example of a very slow paced film that totally sucked haha.

there are also many good fast paced movies... and many bad fast paced ones.... i totally agree with Directorik that not every film needs the same pacing... each story requires it's own pacing... and even each scene requires it's own pacing.... first, get each scene to feel correctly paced by itself.... and then, watch the whole thing and figure out the pacing for the whole film.. and edit/remove scenes as needed. as others have said... pacing can definitely change throughout a film... and most often it needs to change... for example often things need to speed up towards the climax.... just find what works for your film...

to me, the Da Vinci Code is a film that failed in pacing... the film starts out at a rather tense level of pacing... and stays there for the entire film.... there is no building, there is no climax... it's just one even pace the whole film... which, to me, is why it really just never lived up to what it could have been....

Back