Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Filmmaking Misc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 02:43 AM   #16
themattcastro
Basic Member
 
themattcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: murrieta
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chae1 View Post
* Don't go 'torture porn'...that is played out, and annoying. I don't want to judge people here, but seeing a girl tied up and realistically tortured is not my idea of horror, and actually makes me think the filmmakers and people who enjoy that are imbalanced and sick. I actually hate it. Have some fucking imagination for creep sake.
Actually, I think torture porn is great for the horror genre. It's helping push the envelope for what audiences can see in a film, like what video nasties did back in the days.
themattcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 10-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
M1chae1
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
M1chae1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by themattcastro View Post
Actually, I think torture porn is great for the horror genre. It's helping push the envelope for what audiences can see in a film, like what video nasties did back in the days.
It's not 'horror'...it's 'torture porn.'



Mel Brooks pushed the envelope for comedy...John Carpenter pushed the envelope for horror.

Torture porn movies simply cater to the lowest possible denomenator--usually the same people that enjoy watching Faces of Death. Would you call Faces of Death horror?

Horror is about suspense, anxiety, adrenaline...horror isn't about watching a 5 minute clip of someone being realistically, brutally tortured.

Last edited by M1chae1; 10-27-2009 at 06:27 AM.
M1chae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #18
Spatula
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Spatula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chae1 View Post
Horror is about suspense, anxiety, adrenaline...horror isn't about watching a 5 minute clip of someone being realistically, brutally tortured.
See "Martyrs" and "S&Man" (pronounced 'sand man').

Two movies that utilize torture porn in smart interesting ways. S&Man in particular is a documentary-style look at the underground horror industry with a great twist to it. Martyrs has about 30 minutes of seemingly-senseless violence in the middle, practically beating down the audience's will to live during it (lol), and then ends with a rather interesting philosophical point on WHY they people were senselessly torturing.

Both films I thought used that "kind of stuff" pretty well. Films like Hostel are just extreme violence = $. But that's not to say "torture porn", if used wisely and with good intent, may actually be valid in horror storytelling. That being said, 99% of it is garbage made by people who like to have sex with shoelaces, umbrellas and other preposterous things...
Spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #19
themattcastro
Basic Member
 
themattcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: murrieta
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chae1 View Post
It's not 'horror'...it's 'torture porn.'



Mel Brooks pushed the envelope for comedy...John Carpenter pushed the envelope for horror.

Torture porn movies simply cater to the lowest possible denomenator--usually the same people that enjoy watching Faces of Death. Would you call Faces of Death horror?

Horror is about suspense, anxiety, adrenaline...horror isn't about watching a 5 minute clip of someone being realistically, brutally tortured.
I don't know. IMO calling a movie "torture porn" really doesn't say much about the film, but more about how close-minded a critic is. Especially if they call Saw "torture porn" because as far as I know, and as far as I know people that like the franchise, don't go to the theater to watch the movie in order to "get off" on the blood and guts. I go to it because I like the giallo style of the movies.

But what about movies like The Devil's Rejects, which is considered "torture porn" when it's nearly not as bad as Cannibal Holocaust, which isn't called torture porn. And, also imo, The Devils Rejects was a pretty entertaining film from Rob Zombie. More entertaining than his Halloween remakes.

Still-I don't want to get into an argument on this board or anything.

I'm just saying that at times, torture in your indie film can be a good feature if used correctly. But I highly don't recommend it because it's usually difficult to do.
themattcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
M1chae1
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
M1chae1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,330
I don't want to get into a heated discussion either...we can remain calm I'm sure. As long as we voice our opinions without directly flaming someone...

OK so...let's be honest, we know what movies I'm talking about here...to each is own, yes...but I think certain films stand out as torture porn...they do it on purpose. Catering to the same crowd that likes Faces of Death and UFC (no offense to anyone).

If [you] don't understand the term 'torture porn' and what it means in modern cinema, then [you] are being close minded or stubborn, it's not the critic being close-minded. It's the critics job to breakdown a movie...if they break it down as being torture porn...that's their call.

I love horror films, and I have a widely open mind...but I honestly feel like certain movies basterdize and insult the genre 'horror.' I guess there are sub-categories of horror, and torture porn is one of them...I guess it's subjective. I didn't coin the term torture porn...it's been tossed around for years now...and most of us know what it means.
M1chae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #21
themattcastro
Basic Member
 
themattcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: murrieta
Posts: 118
You're right, to every man his own.

I guess I'm just a little ticked off because calling a movie Torture Porn is really condescending. It makes people who like to watch the Saw franchise feel like there's something wrong with them because they like watching the movies.

Idk.

But either way, films are subjective, so it's really about to the specific viewer on what their take on the films are.
themattcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #22
M1chae1
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
M1chae1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by themattcastro View Post
You're right, to every man his own.

I guess I'm just a little ticked off because calling a movie Torture Porn is really condescending. It makes people who like to watch the Saw franchise feel like there's something wrong with them because they like watching the movies.

Idk.

But either way, films are subjective, so it's really about to the specific viewer on what their take on the films are.
Like I said, I didn't coin the phrase, but I can understand where someone who loves those films might not like the idea.

It is what it is...maybe someone can/has coined a different phrase? I've just never heard another one...
M1chae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #23
CeraGraves
Basic Member
 
CeraGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by themattcastro View Post
You're right, to every man his own.

I guess I'm just a little ticked off because calling a movie Torture Porn is really condescending. It makes people who like to watch the Saw franchise feel like there's something wrong with them because they like watching the movies.

Idk.

But either way, films are subjective, so it's really about to the specific viewer on what their take on the films are.
For the record - I really enjoy the Saw franchise along with many other similar films, but I also do call them "torture porn" films - not saying it's a bad thing, but those films definitely need to be seperated from "horror films" like the original Halloween. I am entertained and enjoy torture porn films, and not in a "getting off to it" sort of way, but they are based on exploiting sex and bringing intense graphic physical harm to the characters - not on the brilliance or suspense or twists of the plot - they prey on our basic animalistic instincts, which is perfectly fine, but they should be recognized for what they are, not that they're any worse or better than other horror films, but I don't think the term "torture porn" is too outlandish when you really examine the devices behind the films.
CeraGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #24
M1chae1
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
M1chae1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,330
Well said Cera.
M1chae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #25
Uranium City
Premiere Member
 
Uranium City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 2,030
I just watch torture porn for the articles.
Uranium City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #26
M1chae1
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
M1chae1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,330
Ha! Nice one UC.
M1chae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #27
themattcastro
Basic Member
 
themattcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: murrieta
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeraGraves View Post
For the record - I really enjoy the Saw franchise along with many other similar films, but I also do call them "torture porn" films - not saying it's a bad thing, but those films definitely need to be seperated from "horror films" like the original Halloween. I am entertained and enjoy torture porn films, and not in a "getting off to it" sort of way, but they are based on exploiting sex and bringing intense graphic physical harm to the characters - not on the brilliance or suspense or twists of the plot - they prey on our basic animalistic instincts, which is perfectly fine, but they should be recognized for what they are, not that they're any worse or better than other horror films, but I don't think the term "torture porn" is too outlandish when you really examine the devices behind the films.
Yeah you're right. Maybe they're just exploitationX100 films? IndieTalk should coin a new word for torture porn films.

Any ideas?
themattcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #28
M1chae1
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
M1chae1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by themattcastro View Post
Yeah you're right. Maybe they're just exploitationX100 films? IndieTalk should coin a new word for torture porn films.

Any ideas?
I actually like the term, and think it fits perfectly...sorry. And I think it has become widely used because a lot of other people seem to agree.

But if you have a catchy phrase that works...bombs away.
M1chae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #29
mr_goodbomb
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Shepherdstown, WV
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by themattcastro View Post
It makes people who like to watch the Saw franchise feel like there's something wrong with them because they like watching the movies.
There isn't?


I'm teasing. Sort of.
mr_goodbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #30
Jedsterg
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: london
Posts: 44
I've only seen the first Saw and I thought it was a pretty good and enjoyable movie. It's got some mega cheesy aspects like the dialogue of the two men in the toilet and the lame metal music with the speeded up torture/death scenes.

I don't get off to gore and violence but I definitely think it can be a great addition to movies.

I do admit, I do really like violence in movies, BUT only if it's done in a funny way! E.g The ending scenes in Kill Bill, most of Battle Royale and most of the violent scenes in Hana-Bi/Fireworks.

I don't like it when it's really serious and disturbing(Audition, Most Takashi Miike films), although if serious violence fits and adds something to the movie and the storyline then great! It's a welcome addition.
Jedsterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
film, horror, techniques


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk