"From the director of..."

Batman is not even in principle photography stage. Ben Affleck is an actor and director; nothing is wrong with referring to him by the movies which he directed.

When people think ben affleck, they don't think oh! that director.

they think the actor.

therefore they don't say an actors name directed it. they refer to his prior films.

I'm not sure what you're implying Cracker. Are you suggesting that Ben Affleck is a "big enough" name that they should simply refer to him by name? I don't think that's true. I think the majority of the movie going audience aren't that interested in who directed what, so just saying "From Director Ben Affleck" would probably leave the audience saying "I thought Ben Affleck was an actor...".

Even the likes of Chris Nolan gets the same treatment, although they do also refer to him by name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJePvN_4T_E

Still, to some extent, it's necessary. I don't imagine that the majority of people would know/remember who Chris Nolan is. They'll certainly remember The Dark Knight though.

Are you suggesting that Ben Affleck is a "big enough" name that they should simply refer to him by name?

Yes. He's Ben-motherfucking-Affleck. The motherfucker co-wrote Good-Will-motherfucking-Hunting.

Are you shitting me?! He's won an Oscar for Best Film. He's Batman! Ben Affleck is a household name. EVERYONE knows who he is. Why in the world would they refer to him as "the director of"?

They are referring the his movies which he won an oscar for. They are hyping him and the movies all at once.

Yes. He's Ben-motherfucking-Affleck. The motherfucker co-wrote Good-Will-motherfucking-Hunting.

Are you shitting me?! He's won an Oscar for Best Film. He's Batman! Ben Affleck is a household name. EVERYONE knows who he is. Why in the world would they refer to him as "the director of"?

EVERYONE knows Ben Affleck the actor. Do you really believe that the movie going public know him as a director? I don't. And I think even less people know him as a writer. I do perhaps agree that "From Ben Affleck, the director of..." may be more appropriate, but it's unnecessary. I think, from a business perspective, simply saying "From the director of Argo" is far more suitable.

EVERYONE knows Ben Affleck the actor. Do you really believe that the movie going public know him as a director? I don't. And I think even less people know him as a writer. I do perhaps agree that "From Ben Affleck, the director of..." may be more appropriate, but it's unnecessary. I think, from a business perspective, simply saying "From the director of Argo" is far more suitable.

Oh yeah, good point. You're right. I'm biased, cuz I'm a fan of his directing.

When people think ben affleck, they don't think oh! that director.

they think the actor.

therefore they don't say an actors name directed it. they refer to his prior films.

I don't think actor. I think hack who only is in the business because he is frienws with Matt Damon.

I don't think actor. I think hack who only is in the business because he is frienws with Matt Damon.

wow. You bitter Cryo?

Anyway.

From the director of (oscar winning best pic here that did not win for direction)

Marketing.

Argo...

Ben directed it but didn't win for directing it. However some may assume he did by this wording as general audiences often get confused as to who gets awarded for best pic, director, producer, etc. He did produce it too but audiences care more about directors. And of course they should be mentioning Argo since it won best pic. In that regard no actual names are needed just references.

it's literally impossible to be a hack at something unless you do that thing.
therefore you do think actor, if you think hack. but now we're getting pedantic.

Back