Dark Shadows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWvkFlyl4M

I'm a huge fan of the original series. I remember running home after school to see it. Lara Parker who played Angelique is still hotter then hell.

This looks like it's going to be funny (though Burton's trailers are usually better then the actual movie). But, what gets me is, it's so loosely based on the characters, why not just create something completely original instead of ripping off a cultural icon.

What year do you think Burton/Depp release Twin Peaks? You know it's coming. Or maybe Eraserhead 2014.

Cinematography is way beyond amazing. However, if it's the campy cheese fest people are saying it is I'm gonna be pissed.

BARELY caught the series as like a 7 year old after school. Watched pretty much every episode on DVD (hundreds of them) a few years back as a nightly ritual with an ex girlfriend.

I have mixed feelings about this. I never liked Dark Shadows. Tried, many times to get into it. Just couldn't. So I have no loyalty to the source material; in fact a bit of distaste. But the trailer does look like a lot of fun, and I AM, generally speaking, a Burton fan. That said:

But, what gets me is, it's so loosely based on the characters, why not just create something completely original instead of ripping off a cultural icon.

This I agree with ten thousandfold.

How did Dan Curis ever give up control of Dark Shadows?

Dan is the original creator and responsible for the TV remake in the EVV,s.

I was hoping Dan would be at the helm of his baby.

How did Dan Curis ever give up control of Dark Shadows?

Dan is the original creator and responsible for the TV remake in the EVV,s.

I was hoping Dan would be at the helm of his baby.

You would think.

Some of my favorite moments from the original actually are the screw ups. They were shooting live to 16mm film with no budget for retakes, so if a grip walks past the window or somebody blows a line they just kept rolling.

I never watched the original series, but I'm a huge fan of all things Depp/Burton, so I'm sure I'll like it. And the trailer looks great.

For those not familiar with the source, it was a "Soap Opera". It ran DAILY for several years. There were 1225 episodes! I think only 500 or so have ever been released to DVD.

March 27, 2006. Thanks for the 411.

It's a shame Dan Curtis never got that shot at the big screen.

Never before and never since did such an all star show case of supernatural were brought together.

March 27, 2006. Thanks for the 411.

It's a shame Dan Curtis never got that shot at the big screen.

Never before and never since did such an all star show case of supernatural were brought together.

I own 150 or so VHS' of Dark Shadows. I see there's a limited edition DVD set of the ENTIRE show that's going to be available sometime. I just want the ones with Lara Parker.

Years ago she did a book signing for her first novel www.laraparker.com

They gave everyone post-its in case you wanted it personalized. I wrote this big long note" I've longed for you years, and now we finally meet." It was a joke. But, she wrote out the entire thing. It's pretty cool. For her age, she's still gorgeous. As Madeline Kahn said in Paper Moon "Bone Structure. You got perfect bone structure."

I met the actress who played Maggie Evans at a Chiller Theater Convention and got an autographed picture of her with Barnabas.

Oh my God, that reminded me. Back in the early 80s there was a club in NY that threw a Dark Shadows party. Jonathan Frid was going to be there. My girlfriend and I went and met him. He was DRUNK as a skunk. Barnabas was weaving back and forth as he spoke to us. For some thousands of dollars he'll perform Shakespeare at your party.

Jonathan was a Shakespearian actor from Canada before he played Barnabas.

After seeing the Tim Burton trailer, I'm turned off. I will not see Tim Burton's version to preserve the memory of the good old days of Dark Shadows. Tim is simplifying an amazing series into a low grade cheap comedy.

Trailer looks terrible, tbh. :no:

But who knows... I was one of those people who raged when I heard Keaton was a Batman, and I ate a lot of crow on that one. Same for Willy Wonka. Terrible trailer. Turned out quite okay! :blush:

I do hope this doesn't crash n' burn. At the least, Burton needs to get out of the boring rut that he's in now.

Back