F bubble wrap mailers.

So I always buy those padded or bubble wrapped DVD mailers. At Staples they're now over $10 for a sixpack. Why do I need padding if I'm sending a DVD in soft plastic case? Plain paper envelopes are way cheaper. What was I thinking all this time?

It all depends upon what you are sending and to whom you are sending it. If it's going to a potential client (or a really good existing one) they get the full bubble wrap, printed mailing address label, printed DVD with insert and cover letter. Presentation is everything. Besides, as a part of my business it's tax deductible as an expense, as is the postage.

You can get cheap slim DVD enclosures, and very thin lightweights translucent DVD mailers to really shave that weight off. FlickerPictures knows the ones. I think he gets them from Uline, too, which is where my side business gets packing supplies from.

But, as mentioned... the right packaging for the right client. :cool:

At any rate, Staples is outrageously expensive. Convenient, but expensive.

Bubble wrap is also not ecological. People are nuts about that. I think I'm going to stay with paper.
Printed labels would be nice -- but I thought that Harvard research team proved it's impossible to print mailing labels and envelopes on desktop printers. Has there been a breakthrough?

I've printed on tons of envelopes...

Whenever I need to send a disk for cheap, it's usually in a paper sleeve with a rubberband attaching it to a piece of cardboard. As long as the package doesn't bend you're fine. If you're sending an actual DVD or Blu Ray in a traditional plastic case, that's when the bubble wrap helps. The case can get crushed, but usually not the disc.

Back