• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shower curtain trick

So I was watching a few videos on using a shower curtain to soften the shadows from the lights. I was going to try this trick but then I got thinking. The shower curtain is plastic wouldn't it melt it? I do mean not within minutes or anything but over time with long shoots?
Has anyone tried this and had issues/no issues with it?

Thanks

WAX

Depends on the heat output of the lamp, proximity, curtain materials, environment etc. I mostly shoot stills so I can't really advise you on specific high output continuous light set ups, but it can and does happen, so make sure you keep an eye on it.

The only time I've melted one is when I sprayed a small spot of bleachy cleaner on it to lift a dye stain from some high speed water photography I was doing a few days before. The curtain pretty much just dissolved in front of me. :D

Last edited:
Depends on the heat output of the lamp, proximity, curtain materials, environment etc. I mostly shoot stills so I can't really advise you on specific high output continuous light set ups, but it can and does happen, so make sure you keep an eye on it.

The only time I've melted one is when I sprayed a small spot of bleachy cleaner on it to lift a dye stain from some high speed water photography I was doing a few days before. The curtain pretty much just dissolved in front of me. :D

Oh man that would have been fun, haha

I have read somewhere before about certain lights giving off more heat then others. The articles I read where more based on actors and them getting to uncomfortable with the amount of heat. As well as the intensity they give off.
Lights that give off more heat (your classic house hold bulbs), is it ok to use these in film, Or is there "pro" lights that would be more suited?

Heat is definitely an issue. I wouldn't recommend using it anywhere that you don't have plenty of room to set things up such that the lights aren't close enough to the curtain to heat it up. I've used a plastic shower curtain with two 1000 watt shop lights without a problem - but it was in a dance studio where we could keep the lights 6-8 feet from the curtain.

You might want to look into local grip rental shops as well - rates for stuff like this tend to be pretty reasonable, and you can probably get a full scrim jim kit with frame and (heat resistant) diffusion material for $25 or so over a weekend. It'll be easier to set up and maneuver than a curtain and safer as well.

The other alternative is to use LED lights - most of the common panels don't put off enough heat to be a concern in terms of melting a shower curtain.

Back