• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Black Net vs. ND

Hi,
I have to light a location with a big window (9,2ft x 7,9ft) and want to film a person in front of the window from inside to outside without overexposing the background.
I was thinking about ND on the window but it's very expensive and not easy to find that large.
So what do you think alternatively about a Butterfly with Black Net in front of the window? Will I see the net?
What are your experiences with problems like this?
Of course I have some light inside but not enough to compensate that big contrast.
Thanks for your answers!

ND it. You can get a roll for $90-120 and that will do you easy.

What are you shooting on? It's possible that you'll see the net, and also probable that the net won't cut the light as much as you need it to.

With ND, you just buy the amount of stops you need to cut. I often use ND1.2 on windows, but it sorta depends what I'm going for, what I'm shooting on, and the power of thel ights I have for inside.

Thanks for your answer.

I'm shooting on ALEXA.
There is another point, that I have two of those windows and I'd like to use that one what is not in frame to light from outside. That means that I would love to be flexible install the ND/net or remove it when it's in picture or out of picture to don't loose to much light by lightning.

I could build a frame but will it be smooth enough? And do there exist rolls of ND that large to have no overlays?

Last edited:
You generally buy rolls of gel in 4' by 25' long rolls.

I'd cut two 4x10' pieces and scotch tape them together so the seam is invisible.

Your idea of a frame might work, but without knowing the location at all I can't advise too much. I'd be more inclined to ND both windows, then choose which one I want to key through and throw an HMI through it.

My thoughts in regards to switching windows is that it is possible that it will create inconsistency in your lighting, as the direction of your key light will change shot to shot, and it might not match or cut very well.

But certainly test yourself to see if it will work for you.

Back