i suck at storyboarding..

Tried storyboarding - i miserably failed haha

It just too time consuming, and I don't get it why to use it at all..
It took me about 30 mins just to draw one frame, and it looks stupid :hmm:

Is it even any usable for small crews? How many of you use an actual story board?

I respectfully disagree.

Storyboarding is not all that necessary if you've spent pre-production time wisely.

I didn't do them for my current feature and I spent 6 months in pre-production. I'll probably never do them unless I have an artist volunteer or I buy some sweet new storyboarding software :) I know some people who have them and end up not using them. Things change at the last minute.

However, I think the biggest problem is that people storyboard before they have locations secure so things really end up changing before the shot actually gets set up.

Just my 2 cents.

Minimum is storyboards OR complete detailed shot list, perfect world is both. I usually have both.
If locations changes, I redo those sections of the storyboards (if needed).

Ugh. Even stick figures are horrible lol I just get extremely frustrated drawing them...
I think I have some sort of storyboarding driven rage.

just finished doodling out. I cant even tell what I drew there haha. I guess shot description on the back of the cards might help out.
But I was happy to see what cuts I should use, and how often..

Thank u everybody for uploaded pictures!

Well unless your shoot has a ton of intricate details it really shouldnt take half an hour. Just use stick figures, to get the point across, to get your idea across. I just wrote a storyboard for my shoot Saturday and I'm glad I did because it helped me figure out scenes I was going to struggle with trying to shoot creatively! So needless to say I'll be doing it from now on, as tedious as it may be. It doesn't have to be a work of art :P

Well I just learned from shooting a scene that storyboarding is very necessary. Most of the stuff I shot was very stationary before. But now that I am shooting specific plot scenes with characters moving around, storyboarding is very important, I realized. In fact, I have now started to storyboard each character separately. I advise others to do the same, but within certain methods, so it all doesn't get cluttered.

I don't know how director William Friedkin says he doesn't storyboard.

My first attempt.. worked ok..

(shoot, I channeled the family circus illustrator, how very UN COOL)

Definitely helped.. with a tight project, a 30 seconds spot, it really helped me to REDUCE the shots to just those I knew Id use and helped work out the "flow" of the final product..

whereshollysbsample.jpg

The final product didnt look MUCH like the storyboards, angles were different, framing etc..

For example the last shot, was impossible to get without trained actors. Who know how to CHEAT an eye line. so I ended up with OTS and reverse instead..

Storyboarding helps out alot. I can't draw either so I ended up using 3D Studio Max and pre-rigged characters to do my storyboards and its a good thing I did. Had a short video shoot the other day and it went smoothly and I got the shots that I needed :)

Back