• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I'm very very new - I have a question!

I'm very new to screenwriting, but I'm very motivated and I want to get it right!

I was wondering about the correct screenwriting page format for having a shot of a map on a phone?
I want to CUT TO: a new scene but I don't know how I would write the scene heading. The characters are outside, but the map should take up the whole screen (and actually, not be apparent at first that it is even a phone - that would be revealed in the next scene).

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Many thanks

MHB

I'm too confused to help you.

You want the format for a shot of a map on a phone.
But you want it to NOT be apparent it's a map on a phone.

What is it apparently supposed to be, then ?

I can fully understand your confusion. Apologies for not being clearer, I'll try again!

I wanted it to seem like a journey is taking place, using the map as a signifier of the distance the character is travelling, it's a very old and over-used concept. The audience is supposed to think that is what is happening here. Then in the next scene it would be revealed that it's a man tracking his journey on his phone - and not the map concept

Sorry - I come from a commercial animation background and we don't use scripts like this - it's more storyboards. But I would really like to learn this format.

Thanks for your reply and patience! :)

SERIES OF SHOTS

-- A map around a castle
-- Rick orientates using the map on his phone
-- Rick arrives at the castle
END SERIES OF SHOTS
EXT. CASTLE

But you want the guy half transparent over the map, as well?

Back