"Ellie Parker" ... even cheap DV can make it

I tried watching "Ellie Parker" yesterday, a feature DVD starring Naomi Watts (Ring, Ring 2, King Kong, etc)--sorry but I just could not continue watching the DVD; thus my critique here is done without a full viewing of the DVD. Read other reviews e.g. on BlockBuster for more critiques.
http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/movieDetails/259059
Wow, what can I say-- looks like Ellie Parker was shot with a cheap consumer camcorder several years ago, poor lighting, amateur feel. A Sundance Film Selection. I mention this film (is that proper since it must have been shot with a cheap camcorder) because it shows that with the right story and named star attraction I guess just about anything can make it to distribution, esp. with the right story. I mean this in a positive way, that should be encouraging for indies.

Ellie Parker was shot with the Sony DCR PC-100. Written and directed
by actor Scott Coffey who met Watts on the set of Tank Girl and worked
with her and David Lynch on Mullholland Dr. It was Lynch who encouraged
him to shoot with what ever camera he had. This was when Lynch was
just getting into DV.

This is something I have said many times. The camera doesn't matter.
It is much easier to get into Sundance and get a release with names,
but the camera doesn't matter.

Amazing. Here is a link to pics of that camcorder.
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=Sony+DCR+PC-100&btnG=Search+Images
It really impresses upon me the importance of attaching a name to a feature if possible.

Related to this: could one extrapolate this logic (I am being serious here) and say that given a limited budget it would be better to put money into a named star rather than put that same money into a DP; i..e. trade off lightning quality somewhat for a named star attachment for a feature indie production?

Ellie Parker was shot with the Sony DCR PC-100. ...
This is something I have said many times. The camera doesn't matter.
It is much easier to get into Sundance and get a release with names,
but the camera doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Amazing. Here is a link to pics of that camcorder.
http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=Sony+DCR+PC-100&btnG=Search+Images
It really impresses upon me the importance of attaching a name to a feature if possible.

Related to this: could one extrapolate this logic (I am being serious here) and say that given a limited budget it would be better to put money into a named star rather than put that same money into a DP; i..e. trade off lightning quality somewhat for a named star attachment for a feature indie production?

Attaching a name star is very, very difficult. And it's very rarely just about
the money. Coffey used his very good friend.

When was the last time you made your movie going (or renting) decision
based on the DP? And if you say you do it often then I hope you understand
that you aren't the typical movie goer. Ask ten people you know who aren't
in the business that question. When a new movie opens do most people
wonder if the lighting is going to be good, or do they ask, "Who's in it?"?
When walking the isles of Blockbuster, do you think most people flip the
DVD box over and look for the DP's name, or do they look at the front for
the name of the star?

I think if you have a limited budget and you have money for either a DP or
a name star, the name star would have a better chance of getting people
to look at the movie.

What was it that made you pick up "Ellie Parker"?

I hear and agree what you are saying Rik, but the question then follows, "what made him put it down"? When creating a realistic Mise-en-Scen, we cannot remove the audience from what they have come to expect from cinema - ie. high production values, which is exactly the opposite of what cheap DV looks like. If anyone says "this looks bad", then you made the wrong choice, regardless of what the camera you chose is. They should be thinking about the story and the characters not the format.

Well, just to confuse everyone after the "myth of the prosumer" thread... here's my 2 Euro's worth.

Format is irrlevant... if you give the movie going public a good enough reason to want to see your film, you'll get an audience. One of the factors that won't sway that decision is the camera it was shot on.

However, if you want that audience to grow via word of mouth (You do, trust me on this)... then having people telling their mates "it was a good idea but it looked dreadful" isn't in your best interest.

Where this gets more complicated is in the area in between production and the audience. Sales Agents and distributors get inundated by really, really dreadful DV movies. So, they are naturally suspicious of low end formats... unless the audience is already guaranteed

(I've got to go to a lunch meeting so more on this later!)

LATER:

OK. Now let's get into the complex stuff.

The problem with a DV shoot is it starts on the premise that there isn't enough money to do the job properly... in 99.99% of cases the film shot isn't really ready or suitable for commercial production. This isn't the same as saying it shouldn't be made, because how will you learn if you don't make stuff (er, let's not get back into that... LOL). What I am saying is this: a film that HAS to shot on DV is more than likely going to be a bad film... but this isn't because the format is bad, simply because nobody believes it's worth a higher level of investment.

So, there is a direct link between lack of budget, choice to shoot on DV and the ultimate failure of the film... however, the failure isn't a format failure; it's that the format is cheap allows people to green light a project that isn't properly developed.

So, although it is perfectly possible to make a fabulous, award winning film on DV... but it's unlikely because the format choice is driven by lack of budget and lack of budget is often driven by a poor starting point... ie the script and the skills of the film maker.

It's also possibly to get very high profile name actors to work on your film... but again the key is the concept, script and the abilities of the film maker. But, the thing is... if you've got a significant name, then you're probably able to secure either pre-sales or investment and therefore don't need to shot on DV.

Shooting on DV is an incredibly brave choice... for all kinds of reasons. Firstly, because the more limited the camera the higher your skill levels need to be to get an acceptable image out of it; secondly, because the industry will start with an expectation that the film is dreadful and will look for flaws in the images; and finally, I think Elliot Grove said it best when he said "DVC shouldn't stand for Done Very Cheap" basically, his take is that DV should be a creative choice not one of budget driven expediency.

I agree with him... we don't see many great films made on DV because it's harder to do well than conventional methods and the very cheapness of the format encourages people to greenlight scripts that needed either development or binning.

Last edited:
I hear and agree what you are saying Rik, but the question then follows, "what made him put it down"?

That too, is a very important question, wideshot.

Given the limited choice Joe mentioned (trading off lighting somewhat
for a name star) I chose name star. But I deeply believe both are
important. The general audience is more likely to watch a movie with
a star they recognize, film festivals are more likely to book a movie
with a star so that name recognition is very important. And the technical
aspects like lighting, sound and editing are also very important as is a
story people can relate to. Distributors know that if after a movie goer
spends their money, it doesn't matter very much if they like it or not.

There really isn't a formula. If there was, we would all be very, very
successful. But given Joes one or the other option, I'd still go with
the star.

Back