BackGround Plates and More

Greetinga all,

I know that some people use various 3D software to create background plates. Is there any way to do this that is easier? For example, could I do this in Photoshop? If so, how? Any links would be appreciated!

Also, If I want to combine a live action shot and only matte out part of the background would it be best to errect a blue/green screen in the area I want to key out (and use a garbage matte for those areas not covered) or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!

Sure, you can make your backdrops in Photoshop.

1) Make picture in Photoshop
2) Import to Premiere
3) Add it to a video-track *below* your green-screened actors.

Depends on how much "action" is in your action-shot, for effectiveness.

For example, two people having karate-fight outside a sushi bar in Japan... no problem. Limited movement of actors... plop in picture of generic sushi bar in Tokyo. Possibly move the background picture up/down/left/right/zoom if the camera is moving about, to simulate scaling. That is also not so hard in Premiere... but much easier in AEFX.

Trying to use a still-image for a car chase scene will *not* work well :)

If you only need to matte out a portion of the background, try "masking". If the live actors will not be passing over the masked area, you can use a simple shape to cover the area.

Most likely, though, you would need to change the mask's shape frame by frame in AEFX if there is a lot of movement near/over the part of the backfound to be masked.

Or... you could get some green paint and physically paint green the specific items to be chroma'd out. That way you wouldn't have to bother with frame by frame masking.

8)

Ai, thanks for the feedback.

For what I need I don't think I will have to do too much manipulation of masks. All I need to do is replace some key areas of the landscape from overhead/wide angle shots.

So I guess my real problem lies in figuring out how to
1) make photorealistic images in photoshop (I could try to find a real photo to use but I need images of things that don't exist)
2) make the seam "seamless"

Maybe it would be best just to export to photoshop and edit the segment frame by frame?

Is it just a shot for establishing a location, then?

Actor #1: Look! A city in the distance!

(Cut to shot of sci-fi city in the distance... Cut back to actor)

...or more involved than that? Have any specific examples?

What I need to do is actually remove part of a modern city from an elevated wide angle scenic shot so I can't really cut between images easily (and I would prefer not to give up the location if possible)

Right now all I have are location scouting pics (I wan't to nail down all of my effects shots before I enter production). I can email you a copy or post it here if you would like (or both!)

Internets been down the last half week or so - thus my late posting.

This is one of the images.

http://www.weet.us/location23.jpg

Notice the city in the upper left hand corner of the shot. There are also some small scattered buildings below in the trees that I would like to remove. As I mentioned above, I would prefer not to change locations - I rather like this one :).

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of Premiere Pro can decompress DV25 and DV50? I know some other NLE's out there can but I can't seem to find anything on this for Premiere.

Apologies for the late reply, here. I have been away.

That should be easy enough to fix... all those objects are tiny... and in the distance. Even for a panning-shot, it would be simple enough to have them removed, with Cloning in Photoshop.

Email me a hi-res of that shot and I'll whip up a page for you, this Sunday. (Or I'll just use that one, if that's the highest you have)

:shock:

Thats currently the highest I have.

Is cloning in photoshop similar to After Effects (I would guess so but I dont really know)?

I guess my problem is figuring out how to maintain a consistent effect from frame to frame so that I dont have moving pixels all over the place.

Back