Any good sources for short screenplays?

If i wanted to make music, I could easily find musicians, producers, and tracks on soundcloud or soundclick.

Where can I find short scripts or screenwriters looking to get their work noticed through short films?

thanks

If i wanted to make music, I could easily find musicians, producers, and tracks on soundcloud or soundclick.

Where can I find short scripts or screenwriters looking to get their work noticed through short films?

thanks

I have a few. We are pitching a funding source in a few weeks so waiting to see what happens with this. One of our team is a professional camera op and his workplace might want to sponsor a short for around $5k - $10k USD. They might not, so may have a few shorts on my hands.

What's your track record? How many festivals have you been into? What kind of stuff do you like to do? What's your kit?

I don't know what it is. I also make music and find it no problem to collaborate with others on music sites. Here though I see a lot of push back and negotiation. I wonder if there could be an indie indie forum for filmmakers that have zero to little experience and no track record that would like to collaborate.

I don't know what it is. I also make music and find it no problem to collaborate with others on music sites. Here though I see a lot of push back and negotiation. I wonder if there could be an indie indie forum for filmmakers that have zero to little experience and no track record that would like to collaborate.

I think everyone just wants to best results ever.
Do you work with musicians without any portfolio or even zero experience?
Or don't get these questions asked, because it is more clear from reading profiles?
(This question is not meant as an attack, btw. It might sound like it. But it occurs to me that you might have pointed to something that can be improved on IT, that can decrease the experienced pushback.)

AFAIK: IT is more or less the most accessible filmforum for 'newbies'.
To start out, I discovered it is easier to work together with local people/friends.

Your previous thread and this one just gave an idea.
Maybe I can write a short script in 2017 with a few variations in story and ending, so various people can have a go at it. It might be non-exclusive deals, so it could result in a series of short with the same theme.

Yeah, portfolio never comes up with musicians. However the work is on a much smaller scale, and you can hear their input very quickly, which you may not like and move in a different direction. Not really apples to apples.

I actually just finished a rough draft of a short screenplay. I am working with a local friend on fleshing it out, and then we will start casting. This forum is great, don't get me wrong, I just think when it comes to screenplays and movies, you can't just be working with anybody. You want someone with experience.

It is interesting that writers tend to ask for past work from
directors - even if they have never had one of their scripts
filmed. Beginners should be open to work with other beginners.
A director without a track record, without any film festival
showings and a top of the like kit really has a difficult time
finding a writer willing to let them shoot their script.

Can it be that on this world-wide-web there isn't a place where
a director starting out can connect with a writer starting out?
Unfortunately indietalk doesn't seem to be that place. It does seem
that every time a director asks for a script they must prove a track
record to the writer.

Maybe we can change that?

I like Walter's idea; I will write a couple of short script to make available
even to directors without a proven track record.

Even an experiment have multiple directors shoot the same script and compare how they each come out.

When I was a student we once did this.
There was a script that was already turned into a short, but none of us had seen it. (Pre YouTube era :P )
About 6 teams shot the same script during the same week. It was great to see the 6 different shorts: the different casts and different styles turned it into 6 different shorts ranging from nearly psychotic to very emotional Dogma style or shot like a soap opera.
It really showed how a different director/team/approach can influence a script.
And that was great to watch :)

You have to make a lot of bad scripts before you can write a good one. If you can't write a 3-5 minute script, there isn't a chance in hell that you can write a feature.

Film is about story. A good story, with good framing, exposure, acting, and sound, is enough to give you proof of concept....to turn your wannabe hobby into something real.

If you're a writer, write. If you haven't had anything produced, or reviewed by the industry to learn that you have what it takes, than you should be concerning yourself with your craft, before you jump into the fray of thousands of writers with more connections, experience, craft, and track record than you have.

Check out the dialogue series https://www.writersstore.com/the-dialogue-learning-from-the-masters/

all of these famous screenwriters will tell you that their first works sucked. If it's true for them, it's probably true for you.

If you can't write a 3-5 minute script, there isn't a chance in hell that you can write a feature.

I disagree. They're a different form. There are many similar elements, though you'll find that there are good writers who can write features though cannot write good shorts. There's a distinct lack of rewards for them to put in the time to practice the short form.

I'm not talking about being great at writing shorts vs being mediocre at writing features. I'm saying that if you can't write 4 scenes well, the chances are very unlikely that you can write 40 well. If you can't write 35 lines of dialogue well, what makes you think you can write 700??

Too many novices get into screenwriting for the money, or as a means to direct, but If you're heart isn't in writing chances are you aren't very good, so stick to writing for television in that case. If you have a love for screenwriting, you should have some outlines, unfinished scripts, short stories etc laying around....make something real if you don't have anything produced/sold under your belt, even if you have to produce it yourself......but writers write....they are the only people who don't have to wait for there to be a greenlight from a studio

"Cling to your work, and you will create nothing that indures" -Lao Tszu

if you can't write 4 scenes well, the chances are very unlikely that you can write 40 well

Well ain't that Captain ******* Obvious. Those who cannot write, cannot write. I hope you don't stay up at night wondering why producers and directors hire good Scriptwriters and not novelists or poets to write screenplays.

I sure hope you're not suggesting the ability to write 4 good scenes is the same as the ability to write a good short screenplay. I'd expect that from the likes of h44.

If you need short screenplays, meet with writers who write short screenplays.

Back