Field Monitor Advice

Evening everyone (from the UK),

I have a Panasonic Lumix G7 and I am looking to invest in a field monitor as I find it quite difficult to see the quality of the footage from when I am filming what I am doing.

I was wondering what must/may I take into consideration before purchasing such a product and can anyone recommend one for a newbie who is loving this new hobby I have stumbled across!

Thank you for your time & help,

Samuel

For focus you'll need 1920x1080 on the monitor. IMO.
Shooting outside: you want a bright monitor and a sun hood. (Or a non reflective OLED)
If you want to judge color the monitor needs to be calibrated.

Here's is what I am researching. Nvidia Shield K1 tablet @ $199.00 featuring Wifi, 1920 x 1200, 8" monitor, HDMI, 16GB (not enough) storage, Android, (no hood), super fast processor and there's the Nvidia Shield Pro @ $299.00, ultra high def, 4k resolution, Android, WiFi, HDMI, 500GB storage, (no hood), 8" monitor, Dolby surround. I'm hoping to rig up external sound to the monitor or camera. All new to me and it sounds to good to be true at that price on Shield Pro . . . jury still out as I research more.

For focus you'll need 1920x1080 on the monitor. IMO.

For a focus monitor, you really need a large (20"++), high resolution screen really. 7" monitors do not cut it for critical focus a lot of the time.
Of course, a lot of the time they have to 'cut it' because you get no rehearsals, no wireless FF, no large/dedicated focus monitor, no time for marks, and no time for screw ups :)

When you say you find it difficult to see the 'quality' of footage whilst shooting - what specifically do you find it hard to view? Colour? lighting ratios? Exposure? Noise Level? Focus?

We went with SmallHD based on reputation/reviews and budget constraints.

Shot my latest film entirely in the desert sun with the additional hood they sell and their various "Focus Assist" modes.

Razor.

Blown away, never had an issue. Opt for a battery plate that is the same as your camera.

Back