• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Short film (with no music) free for practice scoring.

Due to these two threads, plus a few others I've seen before, I'm making my most recent 48HFP available for anyone to use, for either practice or for use in your demo reel.

https://vimeo.com/48926957
PW: practice

You should be able to download the mp4 directly from that link. If you have any trouble, feel free to PM me.

You're free to use this with absolutely no direction from me, but I don't think that's normally how scores work. In my experience, and to the best of my knowledge, it's normally the case that the director at least provides a little direction, even if only in offering feelings/moods that they're going for. So, for the sake of practicing how scores are done "in the real world", I've provided my direction below. Like I said, you are free to ignore the following:

From the very beginning, this short film was conceived as a way to make music the focal-point. The way I hear it in my head, the music should basically be a 4-minute crescendo. Though I'm obviously going for comedy in this film, I can't imagine using a comedy score. Tension is what I'm looking for. The only two cues that are really important to me are the following:

*When the dude shoots the laser, I'd like the score to completely drop out (just before the sound of the laser-blast), then come back in at a much higher intensity (when the commander gets really pissed).

*The score should completely drop out (or be really quiet) when we cut to the final shot of Earth.

I hope this helps. Good luck. And should you feel so inclined, please post your results here, or at least let me see them.

That's very kind of you to offer this for composers to practice with and, as you said, use it as a demo reel. Thanks on behalf of all the composers out there who find this useful in the future. :)

I've been extremely busy these past couple of weeks, but I really wanted to post something, so I did a very fast and rough "score" to this film over a weekend.

It's very rough and the mix is pretty laughably bad, which can be said about the ending cue as well, haha :D But anyways, it's fun to share stuff!

I might redo some parts and when I get some time over, actually MIX the score and Audio track so they're balanced :)

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozzu7bd58Y

Cool!

That was fun to watch/hear a different take on it. Thanks for doing that, and I hope you got some useful practice out of it. For fast and rough, there's a whole lot to like in there. I like your style! :)

Also, should you care to continue practicing on this, I'd be happy to offer feedback, but if you're done with this particular practice score that's cool too. Cheers!

Password

I understand that this post was made a number of years back - I only just came accross it. The link is asking for a password - could I ask what that password is? Thanks!

Back