• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Seeking director for comedy script

I'm looking for a like-minded director/collaborator to turn my feature-length, low-budget black comedy into a film. This particular script was strongly influenced by so-called "cringe comedy" like the British version of The Office and the American workplace comedy Party Down, both of which deal with the humor to be found among the daily grind and shattered dreams. If you have an affinity for either of those shows or themes, you'll have some sense of the tone I was shooting for and (hopefully) achieved.

My screenplay centers on Albert, a newly divorced thirty-something schoolteacher who decides to take in his bi-polar younger brother, Tom, after he attempts suicide. Albert realizes that one of the happiest periods in his brother's life was when they were in a (terrible) grunge band more than a decade ago. He reluctantly decides to get the band back together, despite his embarrassment at their general lack of talent and his disdain for their cocky asshole of a lead singer, all the while dealing with the ruins of his personal life. While Albert views it as a harmless diversion for his brother, Tom and the lead singer begin to experience delusions of rock godhood.

The ideal director would be a devotee of black comedy, particularly "cringe comedy," with also an interest in rock music.

For someone who's pitching a comedy, I feel like I'm coming across as a pretentious prick, so I will quit while I am ahead. Let me know if you're interested and what your background and interests in filmmaking are.

R.T. McClure

Hey Mussonman,

I saw on one of the other threads you just posted that you've picked up a camera and are making/have made some comedy sketches--very cool. I'd be interested in seeing how those turn out. I'm also a sketch comedy nerd (old Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Mr. Show with Bob and David being two of my favorites). I've got a couple of sketches written and could write some more in case you're looking for more material at some point. Eventually, when you're at the feature-making stage, maybe my screenplay would be right for you.

Keep in touch, and keep living the dream.

Back