"Surviving Family is on Distribber Instant!

mlesemann

Staff Member
I'm delighted to announce that the Director's Cut of my first feature, Surviving Family, is now available to stream on Distribber Instant! You can rent it for $2.99 for 24 hours, or buy it for $5.99.

As a special bonus, if you identify the scene that was cut from the iTunes version but IS in this version, I'll send you a Surviving Family cap! Just message me here with the right answer.

http://www.distribber.com/instant?vid=67

You just got a new customer. I won't finish watching right now. But I'll watch fully, sometime this week. :)

Best,
Aveek

Edit: The dude is a solid actor.

Last edited:
So Mara
Could you describe your distribution planning a little?

Festivals vs. VOD.
Did you first go through the festival run before the VOD release?
or
Did you do it simultaneously?
or
Did you just release on VOD without consideration for Festivals?
and
In what ways are you raising awareness about your film?

thx :)

The first time (Surviving Family) we started with festivals to raise awareness of the movie, pick up a few awards, etc. Like most (very) low budget movies, we didn't get into the big fests, or even the 2nd tier, but did get into a lot of mid-level and lower level festival. We did 19 festivals in all, and won 20 awards, and picked up another 19 nominations.

Along the way we picked up a lot of Facebook fans, including both people who saw & liked the movie, and those who missed it but wanted to see it. We now market a lot to them and their friends/acquaintances.

We've also benefited from the rising career arc of our actors - predominantly our leading man Billy Magnussen (terrific reviews for theater roles including a Tony nomination, plus roles in high-visibility movies) but also recently Katherine Hughes, who has a supporting role in Surviving Family and also in the just-released Men Women & Children.

For the movie I'm shooting now (Detours), we've got a higher profile cast & are already building a very active social media presence, so I will probably do far fewer festivals, but am guardedly optimistic on higher level ones. it's always a crap shoot on that stuff though!

Back