Indie film credits

Hi all,

My writing partner and I have recently shot our first shot film. We funded the whole production out of our own money. We managed to get a couple of known TV actors to star in the film. Once we got these names a production company wanted to get involved. They allowed us to use their insurance.

We are now working on the opening credits to the film and are a bit stuck. I’m guessing that the production company will get a “associated with” credit, but we are unsure what the first credit should be. We don’t have a distributor, and we don’t run a production company ourselves – as I said, it was just me and my writing partner who funded the film, assembled the cast and crew, sorted out the equipment, props (cars), lowloader etc. Does anyone have any advice, or has been through something similar? Is it just a case of us ‘creating’ a production company name to work under?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart
www.rogershortfilm.com

Hi all,

My writing partner and I have recently shot our first shot film. We funded the whole production out of our own money. We managed to get a couple of known TV actors to star in the film. Once we got these names a production company wanted to get involved. They allowed us to use their insurance.

We are now working on the opening credits to the film and are a bit stuck. I’m guessing that the production company will get a “associated with” credit, but we are unsure what the first credit should be. We don’t have a distributor, and we don’t run a production company ourselves – as I said, it was just me and my writing partner who funded the film, assembled the cast and crew, sorted out the equipment, props (cars), lowloader etc. Does anyone have any advice, or has been through something similar? Is it just a case of us ‘creating’ a production company name to work under?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart
www.rogershortfilm.com

well since they arent helping you that much and it wasnt in the contract . you put them second

Does anyone have any advice, or has been through something similar? Is it just a case of us ‘creating’ a production company name to work under?
I have been through something similar. Many times. I often work in
cooperation with other prodCo's.

You could ask them what they would like. If they want their company
name first does it harm you and your partner in any way? If you
feel it does then tell them what you think is fair.

From your post here it seems this prodCo's only contribution was to allow
you to use their insurance. If that's the case then sfoster's suggestion is
a good one. If they did more then you could use:

Nameles Productions Presents
A film by John and James Doe.

I say you should ask them what they think is fair.

Thank you for all your responses

My question was more to do with what we would label our contribution as - as we aren't a production company - but 'a film by' definitely covers that. I'm happy for us to list the production company first. Even though they didn't contribute that much, they are quite a well known production company so their name first might help.

Back