Movie Memorabilia - What do you own?

Obviously a community like this is geared primarily towards giving people a way to post questions about their projects and get feedback on how to proceed through their problems, issues, or setbacks. But as Indie filmmakers, I know we are also big fans of film history.

So since I have yet to come across another topic like this yet, I was curious to know what pieces of movie history do any of you actually own, and what (if any) are your favorite pieces?

Do you own a poster? A signed poster? A special edition or limited edition release of a film? A favorite film on Laser Disk? A movie trailer on 35mm? Movie Stills? Figurines or statues? A soundtrack on LP? An actual movie (or TV) prop or costume? What sorts of things have you managed to collect?

And please include a description of what the item(s) are, what film they're from, what their significance is, and if there is a story behind them. I'd like to know why they are important to you, if in any way.

I’ll start this thread off with one of my most prized possessions: a collection of memorabilia from my favorite film of all time, Hayao Miyazaki’s The Castle of Cagliostro.

The image below features a large hand-printed poster that I cobbled together, a real poster from an art book on the top right. And then on the cupboard there are the story-book adaptation, the movie’s official art-book, the storyboards (which I actually picked up in Disney’s EPCOT), the special edition DVD, and the soundtrack on CD: below which sit an array of PVC figurines depicting characters and even whole scenes from the film in miniature form. I also bought a yellow model Fiat 500 separately, because I knew it was prominently featured in the film.

the_cagliostro_shrine_6_by_filmmakerj-d3cin3y.png

I imagine this film might not be familiar to a lot of you.
The Castle of Cagliostro is actually the 2nd in a lengthy line of animated features that are part of the “Lupin the 3rd” franchise in Japan. To describe what Lupin is: imagine if Sly Cooper and James Bond had a love child who was half French and half Japanese. That’s Lupin. Out of the 37 movies produced for the character since 1974, this is undoubtedly still the best of them all, and the most timeless: as many of the later films tried to emulate its plot and characters.

The Castle of Cagliostro was Miyazaki’s first film as a director, and he wrote, designed, storyboarded, animated, inked and painted, and premiered the entire hour and forty minute film in only 7 months. Truly an unbelievable feat. The film originally didn’t go over well with fans of the Lupin character, as Miyazaki watered down his more brash and sex-crazed personality for a more noble and good-natured character, which has sort of stuck since then. These days, Cagliostro is almost as well-renowned with fans over in Japan as Star Wars is with us here, as you can probably tell by the wide array of collectibles here.

The film actually has so many strange and unique statues, figurines, books, posters and artwork, that it would take you decades before you might actually be able to find everything. There’s even a chess set based on the film.

Cagliostro was finally released on Blu-ray here in the states by a company called Discotek Media, so I would encourage anyone who is a Miyazaki and/or an anime fan to give it a watch. It’s quite the pleasant trip, and recalls imagery from things like The Court Jester, The Great Race, Topkapi, To Catch a Thief, and the Roger Moore James Bond films.

Back