XLR/Line-in Audio Recorder

I'm looking at a sub £300 / $500 audio recorder for my XLR shotgun mic. I've got XLR and Line-in adaptors for it. I'm thinking of the Zoom H4N at the moment (£279.99 / $330). I was wondering if anyone knew of anything better in a similar price range?

Thanks! -Justin

I think the general consensus (here, and on several other indie forums I frequent) is that the H4n is by far the best option in your price range. If you spend another £100-200 I think you have a few more options, but the H4n is very good value for money.

I think the general consensus (here, and on several other indie forums I frequent) is that the H4n is by far the best option in your price range. If you spend another £100-200 I think you have a few more options, but the H4n is very good value for money.

That's what I thought, just thought I'd see if there was any gear I'd missed in my search.

Cheers for the response man.

I've been using the Tascam DR-100 and think it offers far better capabilities for location sound recording than the Zoom. Specifically, the dual battery option, having level knobs rather than buttons, the wired remote which I attach to my boom pole. What I think are better pre-amps and a more natural sounding limiter.

I'm looking at a sub £300 / $500 audio recorder for my XLR shotgun mic. I've got XLR and Line-in adaptors for it. I'm thinking of the Zoom H4N at the moment (£279.99 / $330). I was wondering if anyone knew of anything better in a similar price range?

Thanks! -Justin

Well, yes and no. It does have real line inputs albiet via and 1/8 TRS unbalanced connector.

That being said, I have had no problems connecting XLR line inputs to the XLR mic inputs, setting the input sensitivity switch to low, and having quite a bit of latitude using the gain knobs to get a quality input and can calibrate the Tascam's meter to the mixer's meter. But, we can agree that it is not the same as having true balanced XLR line level inputs.

Yup, lots of nice buzz about the DR-100. Does it have real line level inputs?

Back