Audio Gear Finally Arrived!

Playing around with my new audio set-up pretty happy with it.

So what I have ended up with is...

Zoom H4N with Remote Control
Rode NTG-2 with Shock Mount (Shotgun Condenser)
Rider WM-308 (High Fidelity uni-directional dynamic mic) which has a wireless option
Silfix 6679 (Unidirectional Condenser, also high fidelity I believe)
Sony MDR-XD100 Headphones

Initial Comments:
Now each of these mics sound great with the H4n

The Rode NTG-2 clearly producing the higher gain than the other two mics. Sound was clear and crisp, I was running on batteries. If your not pointing directly at who ever is talking it does tend to sound muffled (what its suppose to do), but correct pointing works perfect.

The Selfix 6679 condensor is only phone plug which is likely older than me and was my Mom's from way back when. My experiance with this is that it hisses like an angry cat, when I took it to a local music store recently it still had the his (when they plugged it in for me to test it out). To my surprise this mic sounded really good with the H4n, not as good gain wise as the Rode NTG-2 (when NTG is at -12, Selfix is at -24) but still very impressive.

The Rider WM-308 was an emergancy buy last week when the NTG and H4n didn't arrive. It works quite well when connected via XLR. However there is considerable hiss when wireless and it only goes ~15ft before the signal cuts off - maybe need to fine tune the receiver signal, I don't know? For $10 (on sale) I'm very happy with it, almost tempted to get a second one.

The onboard mics are good, I find they pick up a lot of residual noise and tend to be louder than the plug-in mics, causing me to set their input volume to 50% vs 100% on the mics, (brings new meaning to quite on the set vs. the other mics). If your handling the device you will hear it clearly with the onboard, using the remote solves that problem quite well.

The headphones are cheap ($20, almost as cheap as the rider mic), mainly got them so I could hear that the audio was recording, vs. quality.

Some 101 Tips I learned using the H4n without hurting your ears:
1. Don't use speakers to hear yourself, feedback is bad. Use Headphones.
2. Make SURE you have turned OFF your speakers when wearing your head phones (I have a splitter on the line.)
3a. Determine the distance of the lav from your system before it drops out, static is loud!
3b. If you headphone line is farther then your lav will transmit, don't walk off wearing the headphone!
4. Turn down the line-out volume on the H4n until you have determined what the maximum loudness is.
Irony is I knew all of this before I started, but new toys sometimes cause spur of the moment "ohhs and ahhs" and not think about exactly what I was doing.

My Plan is to do some more "formal" sound tests over the weekend, but these are my first impressions.

Test and post away! You've got the conch! I can't wait to hear the results. This new crop of digital field recorders is almost like the 2nd wave of the DV filmmaking revolution...affordable audio to match our affordable video. I know they're not perfect but they are within reach, and they allow us to treat audio with respect (which leads us to treat audio with ever increasing respect when our budgets increase.)

I'm in Musical Instrument retail for my day job, and there was a huge article in one of the trade magazines this month about the new crop of portable, affordable field recorders (like the Zoom H4n). Independent filmmaking is very much on the minds of Olympus, Samson (Zoom), Yamaha, Marantz et al these days. Which is only good news for us.

Yeah I'm going out in ~1/2 an hour to test it out "in field" as it were. Last night I played some musical instruments (drums, violin, trumpet, and sax) and it sounded very nice, nothing I'll post because I need to tune things (that said there is a tuner in there somewhere if memory serves me correct).

Yeah I'm going out in ~1/2 an hour to test it out "in field" as it were. Last night I played some musical instruments (drums, violin, trumpet, and sax) and it sounded very nice, nothing I'll post because I need to tune things (that said there is a tuner in there somewhere if memory serves me correct).

I'm happy for you! YAY!!:D

Have fun playing around with it!

Okay so here is my initial sound test, now I will point out that is a "comparison" test rather than a "this is the best they can do". I did the test in two parts, part one is me talking in my noisy back yard, the second is me playing a few instruments inside.

Outdoor Sound Test

Indoor Music Test (Warning - The base drum for sure over powers all the mics at the current settings)
Drum Test - H4n Onboard Mics, the unit is sitting on the floor under the snare and beside the bass drum
Drum Test - NTG-2 Right Channel, Rider Left Channel, ~4 ft away and head level (much better positioning)

The instruments are by far louder than me talking and you really have to turn down the gain (recording volume) on the H4n as to not go over the saturation point of the mics. However each mics acts differently as as you turn down the gain you eventually reach a point where they all work, but that point is different for each but around (0.1-0.5 out of 100) on the H4n but its hard for you to hear me talk to ID which mics is which (Thus the additional drum tests).

Also as a bonus, here is a couple firetrucks passing by in the distance. Its background noise so its very quiet but you can turn up the gain (I have a limited audio program right now, just turned up the speakers instead) and you can hear it pretty clearly (Edit: okay was able to amp it up and add a low-pass to reduce the hiss Modified Fire Truck)

Last edited:
I've used this setup before. The H4n with the NTG-2 sounds good. I'm FAR from being an audio expert -- I'm sure somebody like Alcove could find all sorts of flaws in what I've recorded with this setup, but to my novice ears, it sounds very good. I'd post examples, but it was on a friends' project, so of course it's not my material to share. I've definitely decided that I'm going to use this setup for my next project.

Back