COunterfit Rhode NTG2

Pretty sure now, after looking at my gear that my Rhode NTG2 is a fake. I was going over some unboxings on youtube and noticed that everyones pouches that come with the Rhode is different than mine. Underneath the ones on the videos it says " Rhode Microphones" mine just say Rhode. Gona call support team later but if anyone has info on this, has this happened to you? let me know

All sorts of counterfeits and knock-offs (mostly Chinese) have been appearing these days. Knock-offs of the Oktava mk012 mics have been around for several years; they were marked as Oktova mc0012.

What makes detecting counterfeits difficult is that, quite often, the external parts (casing, etc.) are made in China and re used by the counterfeiters, so they look identical externally, but the electronics and other parts are extremely substandard.

This is another reason to get your gear from a reputable vendor.

I had that happen to me with a Sony stereo mic I bought for my MD recorder. I should have realized this when I was getting the mic for a discounted rate. But sometimes, the good deal compells you buy things you wouldn't normally purchase...

So do you think all those crappy Audio Technica ATR-6550 mics are simply counterfits and the REAL 6550 is actually a really good mic?!?

Last edited:
It says Rode i just spell like an idiot. I talked to the company today and the said they will look into it and even get back to me later today. (damn thats service!) I don't think it is fake I tend to get paranoid as you can probably tell from my posts. When I almost got Burned on the head phones I had a random thought that my NTG2 was fake. what didn't help was the fact the the pouch that the Rode comes in doesn't look the same. It just says rode on it and the others I have seen online don't just say rode.

Anyways the guy said he had one like me with the same font but man. How can I be so dumb to not think about fake gear. I have known about people counterfeiting stuff like this but I can't believe someone like me would not think about it right away. Sticking to B&H from now on. anyone else know of any dealers that are reputable?

anyone else know of any dealers that are reputable?

New York Professional Sound Services (Pro-Sound.com) is also in New Orleans and LA. A good place for audio rentals.

Stick with B&H. They are competitively priced and have good support services. I get 90% of my audio post and field recording gear there. The rest is carefully researched used gear. For music stuff I sometimes order from Sweetwater.

Who's the originating vendor? That's always the key issue. There are many reputable companies out there. They offer good pricing but are short on support.

That's why I stick with B&H and Sweetwater. They are willing to make deals on large purchases, they have good support, and have all of my purchase records. That was very important when my studio was flooded in '07. My records were, of course, in a file cabinet in the studio. They both were able to send me copies of all my purchases so I could satisfy insurance requirements. It's also a help when I have questions regarding compatibility.

Back