24-105mm Canon L lens, darker when zooming in?

Whenever I shoot video with a 24-105mm Canon L lens (mounted on a Canon 60D), I seem to lose a bit of light as I zoom from 24mm to 105mm. For example, at 105mm the image gets a bit darker than at 24mm+.

Is this normal? Thanks.

Actually, the L series version of the Canon 24-105mm does not have a variable aperture but a fixed maximum aperture of F/4. You should have the same aperture at 24mm and 105mm.

To figure out your problem, first let's make sure you do have the L series lens and not the STM standard one, since the latter would behave the way mentioned in the previous posts.

Actually, the L series version of the Canon 24-105mm does not have a variable aperture but a fixed maximum aperture of F/4. You should have the same aperture at 24mm and 105mm.

To figure out your problem, first let's make sure you do have the L series lens and not the STM standard one, since the latter would behave the way mentioned in the previous posts.

+1

Wat numbers are on the lens?
24-105mm 4.0L ?

You are using manual settings? Nothing automatic going on (including auto-ISO)?

How much does it change? If it's no more than 1/3 of a stop, that might be normal. If it's a full stop, that's borked.

Take a pic at f=24mm f/4 of a gray card, in manual settings and manual focus. Without moving the camera and using same settings, zoom in to 105mm and take another pic. Compare histograms. Does it change?

Last edited:
I don't think there's an EF-S to m43 speed booster, so you won't be getting F/1.0 without vignette.

Yeah, I use it with a Blackmagic Pocket with the Pocket Speedbooster - really awesome combo - I have a dumb m4/3 to Nikon adapter too so that one lens gives me a 28-105mm equivalent at a minimum of f/1.8 - very cool.

Last edited:
Looking at the histogram and adjusting the color temp to match, the 105mm is almost exactly 2/10th stop darker. Some of that could be from vignetting, shot wide open, because I had to crop in the 24mm (so the darker edges would've been removed).

I'm not sure why it's darker. It might be one of the quirks of the lens.

The 70-200 2.8 V2 is something like 1/3 stop brighter than other lenses. It's kind of strange.

Looking at the histogram and adjusting the color temp to match, the 105mm is almost exactly 2/10th stop darker. Some of that could be from vignetting, shot wide open, because I had to crop in the 24mm (so the darker edges would've been removed).

I'm not sure why it's darker. It might be one of the quirks of the lens.

The 70-200 2.8 V2 is something like 1/3 stop brighter than other lenses. It's kind of strange.

Thanks.

You do realize when the aperture is open wider and more light is let into the lens, the depth of field decreases? How much focus do you want on your subject and background are also taken into consideration. Watch the tutorial video I posted in my thread on the Canon 60D movie mode to adjust your shutter speed (light exposure settings) as well to adjust your light for the shot as well. http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=57565

If you are shooting indoors, you may also be able to add more light and take away light as you adjust your zoom with light sources such as adding and removing lamps into the subject area of your shoot.

Last edited:
I have one Sigma lens and it is a wide angle telephoto. Unlike the Canon lens that I have for my 60D, the Sigma lens has a dial to adjust the F stop from 1:8 to 5:6. That is the way lens should be made. It makes the lens more flexable for a wider variety of shots. My two Canon lens come preset with a single F stop. Canon would do well to make all of their lens with adjustable F stops.

My two Canon lens come preset with a single F stop. Canon would do well to make all of their lens with adjustable F stops.

I think you may do well to read your camera manual… the ratio given on the front of the lens (e.g. 1:1.8 or 1:4) is the maximum aperture value, not the only one. You can adjust the aperture from the maximum usually down to f/22 or so (often to completely closed on a fully manual lens).

Back