Home Made Audio Recording Booth

Firstly, how odd that this forum doesn't have a dedicated audio section?

Anyway, I was recording some narration yesterday in my local uni's sound studio. Apparently one of the important files became corrupted, and we can't get back into the studio for a couple of weeks.

For a festival deadline, I need to submit the film before we can re-record (I will re-record anyway, and if we get in, give them the re-recorded version), but for the meantime, I am going to have to make do with a home made recording booth.

I've heard of people lining a small cupboard with blankets and recording in there, but I can't seem to find much about it online. Is there anything specific I should be doing/looking for? Ideal room size/shape, etc.

Thanks for any help.

You can use a closet. You don't even have to be completely in it. Just put the mic in as far as it will go, make sure that here is enough room for the mic to "breathe" and go for it.

Pay attention to the ambient sound of the room. HVAC, 'fridge, tech toys all make noise; shut 'em off.

Got a few moving pads and some C-stands?

Other possibilities...

portable-recording-podcast-sound-booth.JPG

05_editors_keys_pop_booth_douglas.jpg

roomsetup-e1387661900719-225x300.jpg

Thanks Alcove! No padding unfortunately, but I do have access to lots of blankets and duvets.

What should the general configuration of the space be? As much of the walls covered by blankets, all noises removed, something 'shielding' mic (as in 2nd pic)?

The biggest issue is reflections from the space beyond the mic back to it (from the point of view of the person talking into the mic)

So simply hanging a blanket directly in front of the mic would be a huge improvement alone vs nothing at all.

Do you have a budget? Even a DIY budget?

I've actually been brainstorming this recently as we're putting together a more professional-type home studio for Sean. I plan on making a collapsible/storeable booth with a sheet of plywood cut into 3 ($12) and hinges($12). Then for sound dampening, I plan to start with egg cartons (free, been saving them) covered in craft store foam(practically nothing at a local craft exchange co-op). And soon upgrade to the real deal once we've got the budget.
*disclaimer: I'm an audio newbie, so grain of salt and all that.

I also have heard that you want to avoid parallel walls. Is that true?

Recorded this morning, didn't have the time to go buy materials. Sounds surprisingly "good" (to my ears). Biggest flaw was not having a pop filter. When the actor stood as close to the mic as he did in the studio, we got a few breathy "pop's." Had to compromise by moving him slightly away, which meant it didn't sound as bass-heavy as in the studio, unfortunately. Still, a relatively clean recording.

Thanks guys :)

I plan to start with egg cartons (free, been saving them) covered in craft store foam(practically nothing at a local craft exchange co-op).

Almost completely useless. It will LOOK like sound treatment, but not perform like sound treatment. You'll do better with C-stands and moving pads.

soon upgrade to the real deal once we've got the budget.

There ya go.

I also have heard that you want to avoid parallel walls. Is that true?

Yes, it helps to avoid "standing" waves. However, not always practical - which is why there is sound treatment, and not just panels; there's corner fills, diffusers, bass traps......

When the actor stood as close to the mic as he did in the studio, we got a few breathy "pop's." Had to compromise by moving him slightly away, which meant it didn't sound as bass-heavy as in the studio, unfortunately.

You can place the mic slightly off axis instead of straight on. The exact placement will depend upon the mic, the room, the talent, their delivery style, etc.

Back