Look like film? - The Ultimate "How To"

1) Buy some film.
2) Load into film camera.
3) Shoot footage.
4) Edit the developed film.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking by it.
smiley_colbert.gif

I've said it before, but I think typically most people get confused when they say I want the 'film' look. They use the term 'film' because that's what the majority of Hollywood is shot on.

I believe really what they mean is they want a 'professional' look. The reason the hollywood movies look like they do isn't because they're shot on film, it's because of the epic levels of money they spend on lighting, actors, set design, etc.

I've said it before, but I think typically most people get confused when they say I want the 'film' look............I believe really what they mean is they want a 'professional' look.

I agree with this. What you are trying to avoid is the early video or soap opera video look. For me the video vs. film debate is over. My first two features were shot on film and my last two on video. Granted, my first video feature was a learning experience, as I over-lit a lot of it. Video movies shot with any amount of care look far better than their past decades counterparts.

I really like the Cinegamma of the Panasonic cameras - soft light, instead of the usual video harshness.
Don't forget Magic Bullet.
Shallow depth of field - try long lenses or zoom in.
Well lit - don't forget "back" and "hair" lights
Gel your windows, so they don't wash out.
Have enough fill light, so lamps and in frame light sources do not wash out.
Flag your lights to create shadows and dark patches.
Branches, window blinds and other gobos can break it up direct light.
Diffusion, like softboxes or even printer paper for a lower wattage clamp light.

Lastly, watch any adventure/sci-fi show and notice how scenes are fogged, and that you never really thought about it before. A slight blast of high quality fog in an interior scene will linger and catch the light, as well as take the edge off deep focus.

I have a lot to learn about lighting, but the above list is full of areas where I'm concentrating, or intend to concentrate on. My most recent project uses fog in the literal sense (foggy scenes) as well as for the softening regular interior shots.

EXILEhallway.jpg

EXILEKinnisfog.jpg

This shot uses fog to soften up the background:

EXILEgrabbinghand.jpg

If you can give your movie "a look", it will help kill the film/video stigma and better allow your audience to fall into the story, IMO.

Sorry! Ha ha! I didn't realize that you were joking, as I thought you were being purist - "you want the film look, then shoot film". :D That's how I used to be! I've only recently turned to the dark, er... I mean, "video" side, with full embrace.

Okay, back to silly. Here's my zombie collection:

http://www.midnightsunent.com/Zombiecollection.jpg

Here's my toaster collection: "They're not just for bread, anymore!"

http://www.midnightsunent.com/Toasters1.jpg

Here's my keyboard collection:

http://www.midnightsunent.com/OASYSsetup.jpg

Here's me pouring milk on one:

http://www.midnightsunent.com/OASYSmilk.jpg

Dude! That's a lot of toaster ovens! Do you seriously collect them?
smiley_haw.gif

I wrote the initial post after seeing the latest posts "shortlist" (the one seen on main page) one night, and the entire list comprised of film-look posts.

Coincidentally, that was the same night Dan created these new sections in the Members' area.

I have a big mouth, so off I went. :P

lots of tricks... none of them have anything to do with the camera except to expose correctly. The rest is script, acting, extras, blocking, camera blocking and lighting and set/costume/makeup design.

Production value :)

Thanks knightly for your response. By the way i heard this term camera blocking in Bollywoods star Amir Khan's interview and from that i am trying to search out what does this exactly mean? Can you guide me alittle? Is camera bloking some how an advance term of camera framing??

Regards

I'm talking more about careful planning of the actual movement of the camera just as you would the actors in your scene. Makes for more dynamic shots and reframings that can replace cuts and make your production seem more expensive than it really is... mostly because it takes more time to do than static camera shots.

Back