Howdy!

Hello from the Black Hills of South Dakota! I am excited to get to know you and your accomplishments. I have always had a special place in my heart for people who are creative. Good luck to all of you in your lives and careers.

Hi Shannon! Welcome to Indietalk. Wherebouts in the Black Hills are you from? I lived just outside Keystone for over 12 years and am planning on moving back, perhaps the Northern Hills this time, though. :)

unexpected reply

Wow! What and unexpected and quick reply. I'm in my mid 30's and didn't grow up with technology our kids now have. Good or bad? Not sure yet. Anyway, what a small world to have my first reply from someone who lived in South Dakota. I live in the Deadwood area. What a totally awesome and challenging place to live, but out of the 19 different places I've lived, this feels like home. So, what are your talents or passions relating to film?

Welcome to the forums Shannon! :) Deadwood sounded intriguing to me so after a quick google search that place looks AMAZING :O It looks so pretty and quaint! I bet it looks pretty cool in winter, huh? :)

What an adventure!

I actually live in Lead which is only about a mile up the mountain from Deadwood. Yes, it is absolutely gorgeous in the winter time, but we all live on the side of hills and our streets average about 40 degree angles. It can be quite challenging but worth it. We are the fifth snowiest city in the U.S., with an average annual snowfall of about 180-210 inches.

No, I am not a film maker, but that has possibilities. I am currently a songwriter/composer in search of a unique story about the Lakota Indian culture. I want to write a screenplay. I already have the music written, weird I know, but I have been dreaming about Lakota Indians since I was a little girl and the music I have written also came with the dreams. My best girlfriend is an accomplished musician and she is also the adopted sister of Chief Richard Grass, a Lakota Native. We have recently started writing music together and I have to tell ya, I'm a pretty humble person mind you, but I do believe we could be a force to be reckoned with if given the right opportunity. Anyway, I'm getting long winded so Bye For Now. I wish everyone an absolutely marvelous day.

I actually live in Lead which is only about a mile up the mountain from Deadwood. Yes, it is absolutely gorgeous in the winter time, but we all live on the side of hills and our streets average about 40 degree angles. It can be quite challenging but worth it. We are the fifth snowiest city in the U.S., with an average annual snowfall of about 180-210 inches.

I love Lead! Lots of charm. How's the neutrino lab situation going there? Last I heard they were still in the midst of a years-long pilot program to determine if it's (Homestake) a feasible choice.

No, I am not a film maker, but that has possibilities. I am currently a songwriter/composer in search of a unique story about the Lakota Indian culture. I want to write a screenplay.

How about the current bid by the Lakota to buy back some of the hills? (ironic since they OWN it)
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...needed-to-save-black-hills-sacred-site-129941

Or a pseudo-biography on a character like Paha Ska: http://camelsnose.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/paha-ska/
I passed his house on the edge of Keystone every time I'd take my pups out for a ride.

I've got a piece loosely based on the Chinook legend of the Snoweater, but it's rooted in contemporary Lakota culture.

I already have the music written, weird I know, but I have been dreaming about Lakota Indians since I was a little girl and the music I have written also came with the dreams. My best girlfriend is an accomplished musician and she is also the adopted sister of Chief Richard Grass, a Lakota Native. We have recently started writing music together and I have to tell ya, I'm a pretty humble person mind you, but I do believe we could be a force to be reckoned with if given the right opportunity. Anyway, I'm getting long winded so Bye For Now. I wish everyone an absolutely marvelous day.

That doesn't sound weird at all. You must take your inspiration from wherever it comes. :) Good Luck with this, it sounds fascinating and please post some of your musical works !

Howdy again!

I love Lead! Lots of charm. How's the neutrino lab situation going there? Last I heard they were still in the midst of a years-long pilot program to determine if it's (Homestake) a feasible choice.

The National Science Foundation backed out so the state of South Dakota temporarily took the mine over along with the 70 million dollar (conditional) donation from T.D. Sanford. I'm not sure of all the details, but I do know that part of Sanford's money is going towards building an accessible science lab for the high school kids as part of their curriculum. Pretty cool Huh! Downside is it's costing the state about a million dollars a month just to maintain regular operations like payroll, keeping the water pumped out, maintenance, construction, etc...

How about the current bid by the Lakota to buy back some of the hills? (ironic since they OWN it)
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...needed-to-save-black-hills-sacred-site-129941

Or a pseudo-biography on a character like Paha Ska: http://camelsnose.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/paha-ska/
I passed his house on the edge of Keystone every time I'd take my pups out for a ride.

I've got a piece loosely based on the Chinook legend of the Snoweater, but it's rooted in contemporary Lakota culture.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate the help. I am learning a lot. I will post some music soon. My husband just figured out how to record from my digital piano to the computer yesterday (so not technically inclined). I am so excited!!! This will be my first CD. Yea!!!

I haven't looked up the Snoweater legend yet but I would love to read your piece sometime.

When do you plan to move back to the Hill? Where are you living now Bird?

That doesn't sound weird at all. You must take your inspiration from wherever it comes. :) Good Luck with this, it sounds fascinating and please post some of your musical works !

Thank You and much luck to you also. How long have you been a film maker? What inspired you?

The National Science Foundation backed out so the state of South Dakota temporarily took the mine over along with the 70 million dollar (conditional) donation from T.D. Sanford. I'm not sure of all the details, but I do know that part of Sanford's money is going towards building an accessible science lab for the high school kids as part of their curriculum. Pretty cool Huh! Downside is it's costing the state about a million dollars a month just to maintain regular operations like payroll, keeping the water pumped out, maintenance, construction, etc...

Great about the HS lab access! Yeah, I heard it's quite expensive for maintenance while they ruminate over a possible contract. Too bad they weren't able to keep mining for gold especially after the jump in price a few years ago, might have offset some of that budget.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate the help. I am learning a lot. I will post some music soon. My husband just figured out how to record from my digital piano to the computer yesterday (so not technically inclined). I am so excited!!! This will be my first CD. Yea!!!

Wonderful! Please post a link to the finished product!

When do you plan to move back to the Hill? Where are you living now Bird?

Hopefully next summer, fingers crossed. I am in Wisconsin now. It's pretty, but IMO it can't hold a candle to the hills.

Thank You and much luck to you also. How long have you been a film maker? What inspired you?

Well, I was one of those kids who could draw anything and always knew I'd be in the arts someway. I fiddle in old school, hand drawn cel animation. Thanks so much for asking, Shannon!

welcome.gif

Back